What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using IPad to RDC Control a WinXP Instance of Crestron

mudtoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks:

I've got Crestron automation and home theater system in my house, and I was looking at the IPAD as a potential remote control device (the ones from Crestron are thousands of dollars). Right now I've been using my various PCs in the house and a couple of Dell Axim PDAs as the remote control.

The PDAs aren't very good because the screen real esate is limited, meaning that the functionality had to be implemented on many screens, plus when the PDAs go into sleep mode it takes a good 15 seconds for them to wake up and connect back to the wireless network.

Controlling the system from a PC or laptop is fine functionally, but it's a bit combersome except in my study where I control the TV from the PC on my desk, where I sit all the time. The PC interface is an IE ActiveX control loaded from a web server that's part of the Crestron system. All the controls inside the ActiveX are mouse based, by that I mean that you have to click on the ActiveX's representation of the remote keys, you can't use the keyboard or a macro.

What I'd like to do is get a IPad and use some sort of remote desktop software to connect to an instance of WinXP (could be Win 7 if needed) that I have running on my VMWare box. I'd have the RDC session maximized on the Ipad and the IE web page with the ActiveX control set to automatically start maximized when the user logs on to windows.

My questions are first, in these remote desktop scenarios does the Ipad allow you to use it's touch screen capability to simulate mouse movement and clicking in the remote desktop session? It would be nice to just touch the ActiveX control's representation of the buttons, just like you could on the multithousand dollar remote from Crestron, to make them work, but I would be OK with moving the mouse with my finger on the touch screen and then tapping the screen once the mouse got to the right spot if I had to (just like how RDC works on a smart phone). However, if I have to do more than that, it might not be worth it.

My second question concerns controlling how the Ipad sleeps when not connected to AC. One big issue with the PDAs is that they go to sleep after a few minutes and it takes 15 seconds or longer for them to wake back up and connect to the wireless. That wouldn't work in the scenario I'm looking at for the Ipad. What I'd like is for it to just blank the screen after a while, but leave the wireless connection active so that as soon as I touched it the screen would come back, again just like the multithousand dollar Crestron remote. Lastly, if it's possible to configure the Ipad's power management to work like that, any idea of how long the battery would last in that configuration?

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

mudtoe

P.S. I've never owned an apple product before, so when responding please assume that I know nothing about Apple equipment and software.

OP
M

mudtoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw from the itunes store that they have a Crestron app. I'll have to talk to the people who installed my system to see if I can just use that, as my system is from 2006, and at that time the ActiveX control and the app in the PDAs was custom built, and they didn't have any sort of generic layout that an off the shelf app could access.

If I have to buy an expensive upgrade to my current Crestron system in order to use the generic app, then I'd still be interested in finding out if I could do it on the cheap via the method I described.

mudtoe

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes, WinAdmin would be the best remote desktop app and its around $7.99
You also have a free option called TeamViewer. TeamViewer requires that you install a server program on your XP machine.

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the RDC apps I have tried have the option of using either type of "Mousing" interface you describe.
Either Relative or Absolute whichever is easier for you should be doable.

I can not speak directly to Crestron as I no longer sell it but I can not imagine why it could not be done like you suggest?

I will say that I (or any Savant Dealer) could "Strap" on a Savant System front end to the Crestron which would give a interface for the iPad designed from the ground up to do what you want.

Look in the App Store for Savant Systems and try the iPad app for $5.00 and see what I mean.

Savant has many Crestron Drivers written to provide a complete front end makeover and it may be a lot cheaper than you think.

PM me if you want.

Ed

Most reactions