What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as a wireless server controller?

NOTFRAGILE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I use the Ipad as a wireless server controller ... like a wireless mouse? IE: Have the Ipad sync to my laptop like a second screen? Have the screens mirror each other so I can use the Ipad touch screen to play my music files? I have over 100Gb of FLAC so it's not going on the Ipad itself and I'd prefer to leave the Ipad memory open for other apps when I'm not using it like this.

Thx
Dave

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are remote control solutions available but I am not sure for what you are asking: to mirror like a second screen.

But if you want to control iTunes on your PC or Mac you can use the free app Remote from the app store. It is an iPhone app but works on iPad too... maybe even has an iPad version out now.

Michael

OP
N

NOTFRAGILE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I meant running the Ipad as a wireless second screen

On my laptop, like many, I can run a second screen. I can configure that screen to mirror what's on the primary screen or use it as an extension to that screen. If I had the Ipad running wireless as the second screen set up as a mirror to the primary screen, I could sit across the room with my Ipad in my lap and run my music system or DVD's or what have you that are on my laptop. Perhaps there is another way of doing this?

Thx
Dave

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No of course not. It wouldn't be able to even keep up with that kind of video over WiFi.

There are remote control options, and indeed I use iTap RDP almost daily, but it won't do video well at all.... nor can it be used as a second monitor. And it is arguably the best remote app out there.

Another way of doing it is what I suggested. There are also apps that let you stream your iTunes content to the iPad. But the way you are thinking of going about it, as second monitor, is not gonna work.

Michael

OP
N

NOTFRAGILE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Michael thx for the responses. I am not wanting it to stream video nor was I under the impression it could. Perhaps I'm not expressing my idea properly. I have my laptop that runs FLAC files with Mediamonkey Gold via an outboard 24/96 USB soundcard, then to my audio equipment. With my laptop sitting over by my stereo equipment I can use my wireless mouse to choose my songs etc.. But the laptop is 9' away and the screen is small enough for these old eyes that I'd like it closer. Alternatives are getting a longer USB cord and have the laptop ... well, in my lap. Or I could use the HDMI out and put a larger flat screen on the wall. I just thought how elegant it would be if I could find an Ipad solution to this.

Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts