What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad External Memory Solutions

DocMidnyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Through this great site, I learned about the iXpand and other wireless memory storage solutions for the iPad Air. My plan is to use such a solution to upload raw video to the iPad and then to download my completed iMovie projects from the iPad to this external storage. Perhaps the same with Garageband.

I wondered if anyone has any input on this? Does this sound feasible?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello DocMidnyte - welcome to the forum! :)

External storage and transfer/streaming have become commonplace for iDevices, so many options exists - I've not used the SanDisk iXpand Flash Drives w/ my iPad but have read about the device. Most of my computer <-> iDevice transfers are done wirelessly these days /w either apps on both machines or w/ small devices that use SD cards for storage and establish their own Wi-Fi 'personal' networks. The two that I own are shown below - both have apps on my iDevices which need to 'join' their networks - I've used them to transfer music and photos - have not done movies or streaming. If interested, there is plenty of information on Amazon w/ numerous reviews/comments and also on their websites.

Now your questions concerning 'raw video' - not sure what format is being used but you will need to check compatibility w/ iPad specs on video; also, I do not use GarageBand, so I don't know about transfer of these files - hopefully, others will 'chime in' w/ some comments. Dave :)
AirStash.png
RavPowerHub.png

OP
D

DocMidnyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman, thanks!

I was very tempted by the RAVPower, but some reviews said it was troublesome with iPads. I guess you've had good experience, then? The attraction for me is that also, my camera uses SD cards, so potentially, I could just use this as my external storage as well.

I learned that my video camera uses MOV files and then that iMovie can export in various file types. So it is such a common file type, I think I am safe.

I think with all this, I can most likely get away with a 16GB iPad Air and use these various devices. I am not the guy who needs my entire music or movie library on my iPad. I am really using this for a portable productivity station and a way I can edit video using a touch screen.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman, thanks!

I was very tempted by the RAVPower, but some reviews said it was troublesome with iPads. I guess you've had good experience, then? The attraction for me is that also, my camera uses SD cards, so potentially, I could just use this as my external storage as well.

I learned that my video camera uses MOV files and then that iMovie can export in various file types. So it is such a common file type, I think I am safe.

I think with all this, I can most likely get away with a 16GB iPad Air and use these various devices. I am not the guy who needs my entire music or movie library on my iPad. I am really using this for a portable productivity station and a way I can edit video using a touch screen.

Well, I've not used those two devices that much and only for image transfer - I now have a DC w/ Wi-Fi built-in, so can get images to my iPad using a Panasonic app; however, most of the time, I just remove the SD card and use on my Apple laptops. I cannot comment on transferring other types of files or on its streaming features, just have not used the devices for those purposes. Also, since my purchases, many other external storage options have emerged as a search on Amazon would show, so you should have plenty of options for consideration.

Now, concerning the mention of a 16GB iPad Air - I thought that you already owned an iPad? If not, a 16GB device is a poor choice these days - you really have about 12 GB of 'useful' storage (i.e. the iOS & native apps/system files consume some of that space) - my suggestion is to at least go to the next storage level, if your budget allows. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts