What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Ipad 2 as GPS?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy a Garmin, it keeps me employed :) if you don't have 3G you can try the bad elf gps receiver, check it out on amazon, it has some pretty good reviews but it's a bit pricey at 99.99

Garmin overcharges for annual map upgrades ($50) and the new models are needlessly annoying. I prefer my old one to my new one, but wasn't able to find the same model any more. The ads on the new one are really annoying, and the interface is worse.

I'll keep buying standalone GPS devices, but probably will not get Garmin in the future. I recommend that others steer clear of the brand, too.

NEVER pay for Garmin GPS maps. You can download FREE maps at GPSFileDepot They have up to date street maps, trail maps marine maps, and topo maps. If you have a Garmin GPS and do not want to pay garmin's overpriced fee for maps check them out.

Rudys tip of the day:D

Thanks for the tip. I might check it out.

I've not bought any Garmin maps, and don't plan to, because they're overpriced.

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy a Garmin, it keeps me employed :) if you don't have 3G you can try the bad elf gps receiver, check it out on amazon, it has some pretty good reviews but it's a bit pricey at 99.99

Garmin overcharges for annual map upgrades ($50) and the new models are needlessly annoying. I prefer my old one to my new one, but wasn't able to find the same model any more. The ads on the new one are really annoying, and the interface is worse.

I'll keep buying standalone GPS devices, but probably will not get Garmin in the future. I recommend that others steer clear of the brand, too.

Many current Garmin (and other brand) GPS units come with free lifetime map updates, and many for less than $150. What do you mean by "new models are needlessly annoying"? There's no reason anymore to buy a standalone GPS that doesn't have free map updates. BTW, I have 2 TomTom units so I'm in no way connected to Garmin - just commenting.

Mark

Last edited:

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mapupdates all good and well, but do you have the whole world on your map? I sure don't, nor do I have topo maps, watermaps or any of the other goodies I use packaged with the device. Just Europe roads NT.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

LOL all gps companies charge for map updates, and most of the garmin units come with free lifetime map updates, also the ads go along with you're free traffic, if you don't like the ads turn the traffic off pretty simple. I suggest what people steer clear of is you're information, but to each his own I guess.

Sent from my iPad2 32g using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Many current Garmin (and other brand) GPS units come with free lifetime map updates, and many for less than $150. What do you mean by "new models are needlessly annoying"? There's no reason anymore to buy a standalone GPS that doesn't have free map updates. BTW, I have 2 TomTom units so I'm in no way connected to Garmin - just commenting.

Mark

I have a Garmin from before free map updates. That's why I referred to it as my old Garmin. It retailed for $250-350 at the time. (I received it as a gift.) I actually prefer it to my new Garmin, which came with free map updates. I bought a second because I have cars in two states.

The new Garmin is needlessly annoying because it has ads, for instance, and if the suggestion from Garmin is to turn off traffic to avoid ads, it's yet another reason to avoid Garmin. The new Garmin's interface also is laid out differently, and the interface makes it easy to hit the wrong button now.

Garmin will probably die anyway, because of increasing alternatives, including tablet and cell GPS. If they offer bad service on top of everything else, good riddance.

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have yet to find a app that will store satellite images, they are just to large and the general public does not see the use of it.

I use the MotionX GPS and a Gamin 296 that I download Topo maps on to.

FYI Im loading up my jeep and will be heading out to Logan UT for the next 6 months or so. Might run into you in Moab or some other place.

I just downloaded a new GPS app today, GPS Kit HD. Pretty excited to try it out, it looks promising. You can download maps to it, but I haven't figured out exactly what maps, whether google, open street, bing, etc.

Since you'll be in Utah, have a jeep, and know how to use a forum, check out rme4x4.com, our local forum, while you're here. Good people, good info.

Moab's great. I didn't find much need for a GPS there, though.

For the trails I haven't done, it'd be useful to have. I also got lost out on Golden Spike once, wasn't fun. Luckily we didn't get into any trouble, but we wandered aimlessly for a while until we happened onto Poison Spider.

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mark

I have a Garmin from before free map updates. That's why I referred to it as my old Garmin. It retailed for $250-350 at the time. (I received it as a gift.) I actually prefer it to my new Garmin, which came with free map updates. I bought a second because I have cars in two states.

The new Garmin is needlessly annoying because it has ads, for instance, and if the suggestion from Garmin is to turn off traffic to avoid ads, it's yet another reason to avoid Garmin. The new Garmin's interface also is laid out differently, and the interface makes it easy to hit the wrong button now.

Garmin will probably die anyway, because of increasing alternatives, including tablet and cell GPS. If they offer bad service on top of everything else, good riddance.

Then maybe try TomTom? I have a newer unit with both lifetime map updates and free traffic - no ads.

Mark

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mapupdates all good and well, but do you have the whole world on your map? I sure don't, nor do I have topo maps, watermaps or any of the other goodies I use packaged with the device. Just Europe roads NT.

Roadmaps, not to mention topo & watermaps of the whole world, would take up a LOT of memory space. If there are any gps units offering all of that in one unit, they're far & few between and probably prohibitively expensive for the everyday consumer to justify the cost.

Mark

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's not really my point at all. My point is, taht regardless of 'free map updates' there is always going to be some map or other that I will have to purchase, wherever I choose to go. Garmin maps are overpriced. Their selling price. And with all the free updates and what not, I live in a newly built area. Newly built as in the first people moved in late 2007. My street has yet to appear on any updated map, Garmin, Tom Tom or other. Updated only goes so far...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mark

Then maybe try TomTom? I have a newer unit with both lifetime map updates and free traffic - no ads.

Mark

Good to know.

I don't mind paying for map upgrades; I just won't pay for overpriced ones.

I'm going to keep using my old Garmin as long as possible, because I like the old interface and mine plays MP3s. That feature is useful for audiobooks, because it pauses the book when it gives driving directions.

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's not really my point at all. My point is, taht regardless of 'free map updates' there is always going to be some map or other that I will have to purchase, wherever I choose to go. Garmin maps are overpriced. Their selling price. And with all the free updates and what not, I live in a newly built area. Newly built as in the first people moved in late 2007. My street has yet to appear on any updated map, Garmin, Tom Tom or other. Updated only goes so far...

So don't use a gps at all? Don't know what to tell you. All I'm saying is that with most of the recent models you'll never have to pay for US map updates. If you travel out of the country, then yes chances are you'll have to buy a map for that country.

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Garmin is much better when it comes to GPS navigation.

Pretty broad statement. FWIW, I prefer the TomToms I've used to the Garmin. I personally don't believe either one is better - no matter where you're going, you're going to find an area where either one might give bad directions or not find a road at all.

As for interface, it's purely a subjective thing. No different than Ford/Chevy, Canon/Nikon, etc. Pick one you're comfortable with and enjoy it.

Mark

Most reactions

Latest posts