What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using headphones

klusmire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why doesn't the headphone jack go in all the way? I don't want to force it. Do you need an adapter? The jack goes in but not all the way.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the "jack" is the part inside the iPad, it's the "plug" that goes into it.

Mine is fine, are you sure you're using headphones with the correct size plug?

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You say you don't want to force it, but the first time I plugged my headphone in I had to push pretty firmly. If it goes in most of the way, but not that last little bit I would say you have the right size, but are not being assertive enough in pushing it in.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased a headset for my Ipad and I have the same trouble,I also checked several headset I have aying around and some have two black rings and some have three so what give here.

wnaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The plug snaps into play you must push it in all the way. It may feel like you are forcing it but you are not.

nbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The plug snaps into play you must push it in all the way. It may feel like you are forcing it but you are not.

As wnaylor states, the ipad is tight, give it a proper push.

randyparent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you

I googled "ipad using headphones" because I was having the same problem -- results got me to this page.

Based on good advice of previous posters, I pressed more firmly, the plug went a little further into the jack, and I am up and running.

Thanks for the good advice!

ellebo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take iPad out of case!

Makes it easier to push in headphone jack all the way...regular iPod earbuds fit fine with a little extra push!

chrismacgowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just been through this drama! Against your intuition you have to use force. The plug goes into the jack right up to the white (in the case of my ear plugs) collar so no silver is left visible. At first I was too gentle. My ear plugs have an integrated microphone and all now works well.

Andalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to the Board.

I'm an infrequent iPad user, but this headphone thing still has me puzzled.

I was able to plug in my 'phones (Bose) and the sound came through clearly, but the sound was also still coming from the iPad speaker. Embarrassing since the volume was up and I didn't immediately realize that the sound was that loud and a disturbance to others.
:eek:

Soooo, am I correct in my theory, after reading these posts, that if my headphone plug had been pushed in snugly, then the sound would have only come through my 'phones and not through both the 'phones and the iPad speaker???

Greatly appreciate your help and patience for this newbie!

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Andalar said:
Hello to the Board.

I'm an infrequent iPad user, but this headphone thing still has me puzzled.

I was able to plug in my 'phones (Bose) and the sound came through clearly, but the sound was also still coming from the iPad speaker. Embarrassing since the volume was up and I didn't immediately realize that the sound was that loud and a disturbance to others.
:eek:

Soooo, am I correct in my theory, after reading these posts, that if my headphone plug had been pushed in snugly, then the sound would have only come through my 'phones and not through both the 'phones and the iPad speaker???

Greatly appreciate your help and patience for this newbie!

Yes, that's right.

Andalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks M.S. ! !

I will make sure I firmly push in my headphones jack the next time.

Don't care to look like a *doo-fuss* again.
;)

Most reactions

Latest posts