What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using hardware to make stuff, after ipad dies.

Jahanzeb A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently, my ipad died. just like that. it was the iPad 4 GSM 32 GB model. i had always credited apple for making durable products. now im contemplating whether or not, i should get a new one. this one had just come out of warranty, so couldnt do much with it. it just stopped working, while i was using it. later i found out that the logic board failed, so obviously, it cannot be repaired.
after allowing for the relevant grieving period, i decided to make some use of the parts. i have a working digitizer, an LCD (LG retina) and a 11500mah battery.

Battery: i thought it might be useful to make it into a portable power bank for my phone. unfortunately i could not find anything online, to go down this road. any links and suggestions would be grateful. if its even possible.

digitizer and LCD: i know these two items can be sold, but i dont think they will fetch much. maybe $50 to $70, maybe less. i thought i might make it into an external display for my computer or laptop. i read online, that there's a Chinese kit, that connects to the graphics card display port, and the fifty something pins from the LCD connect to that kit (board) and has to be soldered on. no comments about the digitizer.

any other suggestions would be nice.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest buying one cheap that has been dropped and using the parts from yours to replace the screen.

OP
J

Jahanzeb A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi Kevin. thats not a bad idea. i looked into it, i cant get ebay or craigslist to deliver stuff to my country. any idea where i can look?
thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts