What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using gmail app on ipad

Mike155

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an older relative beginner to any sort of computing, although not too bad with my mailbox - gmail.
However, I wish to use the gift of an iPad to search my family history towards compiling a family tree.
I found using Safari most complicated and bitty, therefore my daughter downloaded the Google App for me. But when I search and select a webpage it then asks me to open this page in Safari.
I should be most grateful if anyone could help me to keep web pages open in google app, save them/bookmark them in google app and retrieve them in google app.
Looking forward to some kind help
Mike155

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an older relative beginner to any sort of computing, although not too bad with my mailbox - gmail.
However, I wish to use the gift of an iPad to search my family history towards compiling a family tree.
I found using Safari most complicated and bitty, therefore my daughter downloaded the Google App for me. But when I search and select a webpage it then asks me to open this page in Safari.
I should be most grateful if anyone could help me to keep web pages open in google app, save them/bookmark them in google app and retrieve them in google app.
Looking forward to some kind help
Mike155

OK - I've not used the Google app, but you can convert a Safari page to PDF for off-line viewing in iBooks.

To convert a web page to PDF in Safari you can use a 'bookmarklet' - a small piece of Javascript that will convert the web page to PDF.

Just create a blank bookmark and enter the text below - in its entirety - in the place where the URL normally goes.

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

(sometimes, when I paste this bookmarklet into iPad Forum a spurious space gets inserted in the 'http' part of the bookmarklet. It shouldn't be there so, if you see it, you'll have to edit it out.

Now, when you want to convert a webpage to PDF, simply surf to the page you want to convert and select the above bookmarklet. Safari will convert the page to PDF and you'll then be able to save it in iBooks or another compatible app.

Tim
Scotland.

Most reactions

Latest posts