What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using an ipad gen9 for a keynote presentation? - old fart, needs advice before buying!

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm after some advice...
I have a presentation, created on keynote on a steam-driven imac ( about 7-8 years old now) which I need to deliver to a school situated on the end of nowhere. They say that they can "find" a mac laptop to run it on, but I'm not too sure and it would be a disaster to get there and find that "the guy with the laptop isn't here".
So I was thinking of digging deep and getting an ipad if, and only if, I can plug a projector into it and show my presentation.
Is this possible?
Will a generation 9 ipad, output a keynote presentation into a projector (the projector has SVGA and HDMI inputs)
I can't afford a Macbook, not even a macbook air, nor a gen10 ipad.

Hoping someone there can help.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, a 9th Gen iPad will connect to a projector : This is how -

1. Plug a Lightning Digital AV Adapter or Lightning to VGA Adapter into the charging port on iPad.
  2. Connect an HDMI or VGA cable to the adapter.
  3. Connect the other end of the HDMI or VGA cable to the display, TV, or projector.
  4. If necessary, switch to the correct video source on the display, TV, or projector. If you need help, see the manual that came with your display.
To charge your iPad while it’s connected to the display, TV, or projector, insert one end of your charging cable into the extra port on the adapter, insert the other end of the charging cable into the power adapter, then plug the power adapter to a power outlet.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear!
...and thanks for telling me how to set it up!
Brilliant.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I've got you here... Would there be any advantage in me paying an extra £150 for the generation 10 ipad?
The gen 9 seems to be more than enough for my needs but, since this is going to have to last me quite a few years, is it worth maxing out my visa card and going for the latest model?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While I've got you here... Would there be any advantage in me paying an extra £150 for the generation 10 ipad?
The gen 9 seems to be more than enough for my needs but, since this is going to have to last me quite a few years, is it worth maxing out my visa card and going for the latest model?
Yes, I would under the circumstances. It will be supported for longer.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, still here. Thanks for that, I'm currently swithering between the 9 & 10, mainly on cost and researching how much the converters will be.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that the the 10th Generation iPad supports an external monitor, up to 4K monitors (yes, standard 1080 HD as well). This is a fairly standard USB-C to HDMI cable, easier to find than the special Lighting to VGA/HDMI adaptors; more sources since it's not Apple specific.

This is more than just outputting video to a projector or TV. It is an actual external display that can be used as extra screen. Far more flexible.
P
Over all the iPad 10 is a pretty big improvement over the iPad 9. The increased price isn't unreasonable.

External Display SupportOne display up to 4K resolution at 30Hz or 1080p resolution at 60Hz

Here is the Wikipedia article with the specs side by side.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is more than just outputting video to a projector or TV. It is an actual external display that can be used as extra screen. Far more flexible.
Yeah, that's the bit which is important. It's no good just having a mirror of the main screen. In Keynotes you can have the main screen showing a small version of the current screen, a small preview of the next screen and your presenter notes, whilst the projector shows the current slide.

If I can't do this on the ipad9 but can on the 10, then it looks like I'll have to dig deep and go for the 10.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the bit which is important. It's no good just having a mirror of the main screen. In Keynotes you can have the main screen showing a small version of the current screen, a small preview of the next screen and your presenter notes, whilst the projector shows the current slide.

If I can't do this on the ipad9 but can on the 10, then it looks like I'll have to dig deep and go for the 10.

No. You can do what you want on the iPad 9. What you can't do is use the monitor/TV as a second screen to run a completely different set of apps. The iPad 10's advantage is similar to having a second monitor for your computer. It will also support a higher resolution display than the iPad 9, but that would make little difference for what you want.

In short, the iPad 9 will do everything you've asked about. The iPad 10 will do more, giving you the opportunity to find uses that you haven't thought of yet. But only a few, so you have to decide of you'er going to buy the device that fits your needs now, or one that might do things you want in the future. Only you can decide if an extra $150 is worth that gamble.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. You can do what you want on the iPad 9. What you can't do is use the monitor/TV as a second screen to run a completely different set of apps. The iPad 10's advantage is similar to having a second monitor for your computer. It will also support a higher resolution display than the iPad 9, but that would make little difference for what you want.

In short, the iPad 9 will do everything you've asked about. The iPad 10 will do more, giving you the opportunity to find uses that you haven't thought of yet. But only a few, so you have to decide of you'er going to buy the device that fits your needs now, or one that might do things you want in the future. Only you can decide if an extra $150 is worth that gamble.
Thanks for explaining that. It doesn't make the decision any easier though!
Time to sit down and work out the finances and the pros and cons.
My current thinking is to wait until after Christmas and then go for the ipad 10, the USB-C port is one major advantage. Just need to make sure that I don't get carried way and overspend at the moment.
Thank you so much for your time and expertise, I appreciate it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

For what it's worth, I've given a couple of short presentations with my iPad Pro and with an iPad Mini. I used Keynote, not Power Point, but I've played enough with Power Point to know it works fine. The smaller iPad Mini (older than the iPad 9 modle) is just fine with giving presentations, which is why I'm certain you can do what you want with the iPad 9. But it is nice to have the larger screen when making presentations.

Please let us know what you get, and how it works for you.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That has been great advice, thanks.

Just a theoretical question... How easy is it to transfer data from the ipad onto a storage device, such as a memory stick or an external hard-drive? I'm assuming that 64Gb is more than enough for most of my needs but, if I want to create something on the ipad and then transfer it (without uploading it to icloud or sending it on an email, or using a drop box) to another computer, or even just want to have a spare back-up? Is it easy , ie does it have a "drag and drop". I'm asking as I don't see a way to add memory to the ipad unlike Android (am I allowed to use the "A" word on this forum?) pads which take micro SD cards.

Sorry to take your time, if you don't have time to answer I'll understand as I've already benefitted massively from your advice!

... and I will update this thread when I'be bought the gen 10 (or depending on the utility bills, maybe 9) ipad!

Oh, and a PS. My main computer is a 4 year old imac and my laptop is a 16 year old macbook so I use Keynote for all my presentations and Pages for all my documents, so I want to keep with Mac stuff. Unfortunately the notebook is now very temperamental and on its last legs, hence the need for an ipad.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts