What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a Verizon iPad2 w/ wifi in Haiti

kTwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pagecrew.com
Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am a teacher and filmmaker, mainly in challenged communities around the globe. I am deep in Apple gadgetry having just changed from a Blackberry to an iPhone4 and most recently purchasing a Verizon ipad2 3G + wifi which I intended to set up for some teachers here in Haiti. I may have made a big mistake buying the Verizon model (didn't specify, took only unit available at Apple store) and my research having trouble connecting led me to this forum. I landed in Port-au-Prince today and hoped to be able to connect via wifi with the ipad. I (now) know the limitations of CDMA vs GSM and kick myself for getting this instead of At&T. However, my intention was to leave this in a camp school I am helping so I wouldn't have paid for a 3G plan anyway and want to connect only via wifi. Can I do this? My MacBook Pro connects to the hotel's wifi effortlessly but not the ipad. What am I missing? It finds the hotel network in the Settings panel but when I put in the password it says "Unable to join the network" and I have to Dismiss. Ideas?

Karen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am a teacher and filmmaker, mainly in challenged communities around the globe. I am deep in Apple gadgetry having just changed from a Blackberry to an iPhone4 and most recently purchasing a Verizon ipad2 3G + wifi which I intended to set up for some teachers here in Haiti. I may have made a big mistake buying the Verizon model (didn't specify, took only unit available at Apple store) and my research having trouble connecting led me to this forum. I landed in Port-au-Prince today and hoped to be able to connect via wifi with the ipad. I (now) know the limitations of CDMA vs GSM and kick myself for getting this instead of At&T. However, my intention was to leave this in a camp school I am helping so I wouldn't have paid for a 3G plan anyway and want to connect only via wifi. Can I do this? My MacBook Pro connects to the hotel's wifi effortlessly but not the ipad. What am I missing? It finds the hotel network in the Settings panel but when I put in the password it says "Unable to join the network" and I have to Dismiss. Ideas?

Karen

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I saw your problem in connecting to WiFi in Haiti. Before we get onto complicated solutions, let's check something really simple first of all. If this doesn't work, please get back to us and we'll suggest some more ideas.

OK - one thing that frequently causes this problem is that, by default, the iPad capitalises the first letter of the first word of a sentence. Most people don't notice this when they type in their network password and so it fails! So try typing the first letter of the hotel WiFi password and watch to see if the iPad tries to capitalise it. If it does, backspace and cancel the shift key and then start typing again - making sure it goes in as lower case (if, of course, that's what the password was). Anyway, as I said, it's good to try this simple - but usually effective - first step before we get to the more 'interesting' ideas!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts