What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a different SIM with iPad 3 4G...

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there currently a way to unlock an iPad 3 4G so you could use a different SIM card with it? I'd love to have one but I don't want to sign a contract.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure your iPad is locked? US iPads are sold unlocked, and since you are talking about 4G I'm guessing you are over there! In the UK you can purchase a locked iPad, but at a large discount for the commitment to the data contract (like you would for a phone), and if you have that data contract already you probably don't really need out of it in a hurry.
But most of the time the iPad is unlocked and not tied to any carrier in particular. Have you checked?

If you do happen to have a locked device, there is currently no way to unofficially unlock it, other than if you have a very early iPad1 which has not been updated and still has baseband 06.15.01. If that's the case, it can be jailbroken and unlocked with ultrasn0w. Otherwise, you need to speak to the carrier it is locked to and plead your case for an official unlock! But don't hold your breath for that unless you are willing to pay off the remainder of the contract you are bound to ;)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, if you are in the USA, there are only two types of 4G iPad3s - the one for Verizon and the one for AT&T. Although they are "unlocked," they are not compatible with each other - you can't switch plans or SIM cards.

Then, the plans offered by both carriers are for 30 days at a time; there is no contract. For AT&T, the monthly fees are 250MB/$14.99 - 3GB/$30.00 - 5GB/$50.00. For Verizon, the monthly fees are 1GB/$20 - 2GB/$30 - 5GB/$50.00. You'll have to decide which carrier is better; there is much debate...

You can buy a 30-day block and cancel it right away. After that 30 days is gone, the plan then goes inactive. So, it's not like a phone where you have to sign up for a 2-year contact. Or, if you don't cancel, it automatically renews (and will continue to renew until you cancel it). But, you're not locked in.

Hope we've cleared things up for you.

Marilyn

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see,

Thanks for the responses. I had an iPad 2 before and I got it when they first came out...only a 16GB but it was a Verizon 3G model. The service plan was the same as what you are talking about, although I think the prices may have been a little different. But anyway, I sold that one recently and got a 16GB iPad 3 with just wifi. I got into a mess with Sprint over a mobile hotspot for it and after I was able to settle that situation I decided I was going to upgrade to a 4G model instead of messing with those kinds of things. But when I talked to a couple reps at Best Buy about it they both told me I had to sign a contract to use the 4G data services with both carriers. I assumed they knew what they were talking about so I've been trying out some different methods of such a thing lately. This past week I traded in my 16GB iPad 3 for a 32GB model but still with only wifi. I'd like to upgrade to a 32GB 4G model so I could use the Internet while I'm on the go and specifically be able to use the new GPS features in the iOS 6 version of Maps while I'm driving, along with Siri. I have a Targus battery charger, car mount, dual USB car charger, auxiliary cables, etc. that I can do such things with if I was able to upgrade like I want to. But like I said I was under the impression you had to sign a contract...

I'll think about this some more over the next couple weeks. But is there not anyway then to replace the SIM card in an iPad 3 with a different one? I wouldn't mind using an unlimited pay as you go plan with a new iPad if I could. During this whole trying to figure out the data services thing I bought a Skyroam Gmate and a few Simple Mobile SIM cards. If I could use one of these with it that would be kind of cool...

Most reactions

Latest posts