What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use Ipad 3G service with no contract?

JoebinXXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ooook...So I was wondering if you could use the ipad 3G service with no contract?? Sorry if this is a dumb question Ive been in iraq for the past yr and ALOT has changed in the tech. world.. If AT&T dont allow it couldnt you buy a pre-paid visa card and just ues it month to month that way??

I have the 64g WiFi..At the time I bought it I thought theres no way I wanted to pay for it every month because I wouldnt use the 3G all that much because when I get home Ill have WiFi most of the time but If I could buy it the months I want that would be awesome and then I would HAVE to get the 3G one..

Thanks in advance!!:D

Last edited:
OP
JoebinXXX

JoebinXXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the data plans with ATT in the US are no contract, month to month.

awesome well thanks.. If I woulda known that I woulda bought a 3G one..

Think anyone would trade a 64G WiFi for a 32G 3G??

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can buy a "limited" plan...

For $14.95 this gives you 250 mgs of data download or the $24.95 (?) that gives you 2gig data download.

I bought the more limited plan. My month expires 07/20/2010 and I still have 50 mgs to use. It is very convenient for me to have 3G access here in northern Indiana. Especially when I go on road trips.

Yesterday, I drove from Fort Wayne to Wynona Lake, I ran a gps app and the urban spoon app and was very impressed how quickly I could find myself driving along US 30. I started the drive with 75 mgs and ended back in Fort Wayne with 50 mgs left.

OP
JoebinXXX

JoebinXXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For $14.95 this gives you 250 mgs of data download or the $24.95 (?) that gives you 2gig data download.

I bought the more limited plan. My month expires 07/20/2010 and I still have 50 mgs to use. It is very convenient for me to have 3G access here in northern Indiana. Especially when I go on road trips.

Yesterday, I drove from Fort Wayne to Wynona Lake, I ran a gps app and the urban spoon app and was very impressed how quickly I could find myself driving along US 30. I started the drive with 75 mgs and ended back in Fort Wayne with 50 mgs left.

sweet..so how meny hours were you driving to use up 25mgs??

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From Ft Wayne to Wynona Lake

45 minutes, going avg speed of 60 miles (a lot of cops out ticketing). When I got to the Lake I used maps to find various addresses on the garden tour, so I would say I used iPad for another 30 minutes, then drove home, 35 minutes--cops gone. Found a restaurant enroute via Urban Spoon, they had wifi so I turned off 3G.

Summary, I was on 3G for almost 3 hours of constant use and only consumed 25 mgs. I think I would have used more mgs if I had gotten email--I believe that consumes a lot of mgs. So I wait until I'm on wifi for things like that.

OP
JoebinXXX

JoebinXXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
45 minutes, going avg speed of 60 miles (a lot of cops out ticketing). When I got to the Lake I used maps to find various addresses on the garden tour, so I would say I used iPad for another 30 minutes, then drove home, 35 minutes--cops gone. Found a restaurant enroute via Urban Spoon, they had wifi so I turned off 3G.

Summary, I was on 3G for almost 3 hours of constant use and only consumed 25 mgs. I think I would have used more mgs if I had gotten email--I believe that consumes a lot of mgs. So I wait until I'm on wifi for things like that.

well awesome man..thanks for all the help, Im deff gonna get a 3G one now!!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the data plans with ATT in the US are no contract, month to month.
but...

att.jpg

If you don't want to use 3G next month, you must tell them before the end of this month!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, you have to cancel before

Your 30 day period if you don't want another thirty days. iPad does inform you on your utilization, so there is no reason to forget that your plan is coming up for renewal--unless you choose to ignore your notices.

It seems to me that ATT has enough resources to let you know when your relationship with them is about to change.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to me that ATT has enough resources to let you know when your relationship with them is about to change.
But why would they? They are banking (literally!) on the fact that many people will forget to cancel thereby letting their plan roll over to the next month and collecting that month's fee.

OP
JoebinXXX

JoebinXXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cool cool as long as there is some kind of notice and no charge to quit. Sounds good too me! THANKS:D

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note that there are roaming fees. If you leave the country...

With Telus if you take a plan you have to stick to it. After you blow your limit, they charge by the Meg.

My base plan is 500 Megs for 20$ a month. That comes to 4cents a Meg. If I go over, it costs an abusive $1.34 per Megabyte! I told them it was abusive and they replied: "it's company policy, sir!"

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be very careful about your data plan. This is what happened to me today.

I opened up my credit card statement and found that AT&T had charged me for two data plans on my pad. I originally had the unlimited one and then the next month I decided to change to the 250 MB to see if it was all I needed. I signed up on June 4th which would expire on July 4th. I went in on July 3rd and changed it . I then received a email from AT&T on the 2nd saying they were auto debiting my credit card. I immediately got on the phone and told the rep that I did not want the unlimited plan and she said that it was okay because the charge had been denied when I put in for the new plan.

I just called AT&T to have them credit me back the 29.99 and was told that because the charge is prepaid, I could not get it back. What a bunch of bull. I will not subscribe again. I have modified my Palm Pre to be a hotspot so that is what I will be using from now on. I guess I could have gone with the wifi only pad had I known this was going to be a problem. This is a word to the wise to remember to change or cancel your plan at least 2 days before it is going to expire.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There aren't any contracts required with the iPad but once you purchase a data plan it will auto renew unless you voluntarily opt out.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did want to change my plan and they still charged me twice. What I'm saying is that you should keep an eye on when your plan renews and if you don't want it you need to cancel it like 2 or 3 days BEFORE it expires otherwise you will end up paying for it anyhow.

Most reactions