What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB cable not charging the new iPad even though I'm using the factory 10W charger

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
King Hal said:
I'm still using the charger & cable from my original iPad 1. I've not even bothered to unpack the charger & cable for the New iPad. It all works fine.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well, I would expect the iPad cables to work fine with each other however the cables I was using were from iPods I have owned which apparently were a no go.

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the USB cable that came with my Ipad 3, it charges fine when it's plugged into an outlet, but when I plug into the USB on my PC I get the Not Charging next to the battery symbol. So is it just a problem with the USB cable charging on the computer?

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
af847 said:
I'm using the USB cable that came with my Ipad 3, it charges fine when it's plugged into an outlet, but when I plug into the USB on my PC I get the Not Charging next to the battery symbol. So is it just a problem with the USB cable charging on the computer?

Depends. Some USB ports on pc's do not actually contain a high power source. Generally, these are the front buss USB ports. Generally, the ports on the back are the only powered ports. Plug the same cable in a back port if available and see what happens. This is the way my current HP is configured, and the way my previous Compaq was as well.

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another tidbit is unless plugged into the wall, the new iPad only charges while the display is off. This is why says not charging while on and plugged in with a computer USB.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a home-built PC using an MSI motherboard. MSI has a utility that works w/some of their motherboards called "SuperCharger". It increases the amperage enough to charge my iPad.

L

Lunar

I have a home-built PC using an MSI motherboard. MSI has a utility that works w/some of their motherboards called "SuperCharger". It increases the amperage enough to charge my iPad.

Asus and Gigabyte have the same facility, in fact I notice the Asus driver for example also works on my Gigabyte board, it's called ON-OFF charge on the Gigabytes, probably because you can still charge when the PC is powered off (but still has mains power to it of course) It does seem to work on the Ipads... but rather slow though.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asus and Gigabyte have the same facility, in fact I notice the Asus driver for example also works on my Gigabyte board, it's called ON-OFF charge on the Gigabytes, probably because you can still charge when the PC is powered off (but still has mains power to it of course) It does seem to work on the Ipads... but rather slow though.
My MSI seems at least as fast if not faster than the iPhone charger.

Last edited:

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant iPhone, not iPod. You are probably right about the iPad--I haven't tried it w/my new "3" yet.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not about charging, but I have found that my iPad has problems syncing over the long cables. Switched to the short one, and Bingo!

Just thought others might be interested.

L

Lunar

Not about charging, but I have found that my iPad has problems syncing over the long cables. Switched to the short one, and Bingo!

Just thought others might be interested.

Yes.. I found too, that if I use a 2m long cable plugged into my PC which can just about charge albeit quite slowly to the iPad, it will show on the iPad as 'NOT Charging' but if I use a shorter 1m cable the iPad then shows the 'Charging' message instead of the 'Not Charging message, so it obviously illustrates the losses one can incurr due to cable length. I suppose it shows up more because it only just about works in the first place from the PC... so very little tolerance margin

Last edited by a moderator:

Badolm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bought 3 different cables from china stores and doesnt work for charge, at new ipad or iphone 4...beware

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somehow I haven't managed to get a non-charging cable to my iPad. And I've bought lots of them, for my family at home and summer cottage. Simply because the one and only would be lost all the time...

My advice is not to buy the cheapest nor the most expensive one either. That simply means going to the local hardware/electronics store, not the Apple store or ebay.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to admit that I've been lucky with 3rd party cables, but I buy mine from Amazon rather than ebay. If I were to get one that didn't work, I could send it back to Amazon and they will pay the shipping, as the product is defective. To me, this makes it safer to try 3rd party cables.

I'm not a fan of the white cables that Apple loves to use. To me, they stick out like a sore thumb. I hate that in my car. So I only get black cables. I use them on my 10 W chargers and use the white ones for charging my phone. So, for me, black cable charges the iPad and white one charges the phone. Now I can easily keep track when I go to charge my devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts