What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usb-c adapter not working with ipad pro

silvercloud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently purchased the 11" ipad pro. Since it only supports usb-c and my computer does not support this, I was not able to connect the ipad to my computer, so I bought a couple of usb-c female to usb-a male adapters. Neither adapter appears to work; I still can't get my ipad to connect to my computer.

I'm trying to figure out what is going on here. Should I assume both adapters are defective? Or is there only a certain special adapter that works with this device?

Thanks for your help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently purchased the 11" ipad pro. Since it only supports usb-c and my computer does not support this, I was not able to connect the ipad to my computer, so I bought a couple of usb-c female to usb-a male adapters. Neither adapter appears to work; I still can't get my ipad to connect to my computer.

I'm trying to figure out what is going on here. Should I assume both adapters are defective? Or is there only a certain special adapter that works with this device?

Hello Silvercloud - welcome to the Forum! :) First, I own an 11" iPad Pro w/ the USB-C port and no HOME button - I'm using the port for charging and some data transfer to my Mac computers - this is likely to be the 'common' USB port for the future and is basically the Thunderbolt 3 (now on my new iMac).

Second, you need to provide us much more information: 1) What computer are you using, i.e. PC or Mac and what model/OS installed; 2) What type of ports are present on your computer - be very specific as to the USB types - I doubt USB-C; and 3) What are you trying to do in 'plugging' in your new iPad Pro to your computer? The latter is important - e.g. if you live in the PC world and expect the cabled iPad Pro to act like an external drive, then that's not an option.

Please provide us some more insight into your thoughts so we can make better and more specific suggestions - thanks. Dave

OP
S

silvercloud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I have tried to connect the ipad to two computers - one a laptop running Windows 10, one a desktop running windows 7.
Both of these computers have the typical older style USB ports, I think these are now being called USB-A?
Ideally, I would like to be able to manage my iPad pro from my computer. When I plug in my iphone 7+, for example, iTunes immediately recognizes it is there; I can make a backup, add music, and so on. It also shows up as recognized on my windows system, within the list of "hard drives."
But my iPad pro is not being seen either by itunes or windows.
I was also under the impression that with ios 13 it was possible to move files onto and off of the iPad onto a computer or external drive. From what you are saying I am concerned this might not be the case, except for Mac users?

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a USB-A to USB-C cable. It works perfectly.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I have tried to connect the ipad to two computers - one a laptop running Windows 10, one a desktop running windows 7.
Both of these computers have the typical older style USB ports, I think these are now being called USB-A?
Ideally, I would like to be able to manage my iPad pro from my computer. When I plug in my iphone 7+, for example, iTunes immediately recognizes it is there; I can make a backup, add music, and so on. It also shows up as recognized on my windows system, within the list of "hard drives."
But my iPad pro is not being seen either by itunes or windows.
I was also under the impression that with ios 13 it was possible to move files onto and off of the iPad onto a computer or external drive. From what you are saying I am concerned this might not be the case, except for Mac users?

Hi again Silvercloud - the USB standards over the years have certainly changed and many options exits - see first pic below (Source) - as already suggested in the previous post, USB-A to C cables exits - I've bought a number (2nd pic below) of these hybrid links which have worked fine when I want to attach my iPad Pro to my older Mac laptops w/ the old USB connections - my purposes are to backup via Finder now on Catalina and to do transfers using iMazing - you should be able to easily connect to your Windows iTunes apps w/ this cabled connection. Dave :)
USB1.png
USB2.png

Most reactions

Latest posts