What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US International Trade Commission Investigating Apple Over Possible iPad Patent Infri

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
elan-logo.JPG

The Times Online and many other news sources are reporting today that the sale of the iPad and iPhone could be under threat in the US after the US International Trade Commission announced that it was in the process of investigating Apple for allegedly infringing a technology patent. The commission, which has the power to ban the import and sale of products, is investigating Apple following a complaint that was made by Elan Microelectronics, a maker of touchscreens in Taiwan, which has a patent for touchscreen technology that detects the presence of two or more fingers on a touchscreen or touchpad at the same time.

And in case you’re thinking that this is all just pie in the sky, the Times points out that Elan won a similar lawsuit against touchpad tech company Synaptics in 2008. Elan’s compliant against Apple accuses the company of “knowingly and deliberately†infringing its patent, and it’s also suing Apple on the same grounds.
The Times reports that if Elan’s complaint is upheld by the commission, it could mean an exclusion order banning the US import of Apple products with infringed patents, as well as an order banning Apple from any similar products that were already in the country.
According to the Times, analysts believe that Elan is probably looking to land a licensing deal with Apple.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article7109873.ece

auspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
looks like he is trying to push himself up to the big time, but i hope he understands that he is dealing with apple, not some 2bit throw together company.

my guess is that if we wants to use apple as a business partner, apple will accpet and order way more than they can cope with and bury them in the ground.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate patent disputes too but didn't Apple benefit from that some time ago?
Patents are a necessary evil... like lawyers...:D

Speaking of touch screens, are the iPhone and iPod Touch built with the same type of touch screen than the iPad. I know the display is IPS and different but is the resistive touch layer the same?

Most reactions

Latest posts