What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Air Force Orders $9 Million-Worth of iPad 2s

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
marine_corps.JPG

Bloomberg reports today that the US Air Force has just placed an order for a rather large number of iPad 2s – up to 18,000, to be exact, costing $9.36 million in all. The contract was announced today by Air Mobility Command, according to military spokeswoman Captain Kathleen Ferrero, who was interviewed today by Bloomberg. Ferrero went on to explain that the Air Force intends to use the iPads in the same way in which commercial airlines do, as a replacement for the hefty bags of paper flight manuals and navigation charts. [/FONT]

"Aircrews fly nonstop worldwide missions and require access to flight publications both on and off the aircraft, throughout all phases of flight,†Ferrero told Bloomberg, adding that the iPads would be costing $599 each, although the Air Force would be getting a discount, and therefore only paying around $520 per iPad, for the wireless 32GB version. I wonder if they are going to wait and change that order to 18, 000 iPad 3s though?!

[FONT=&amp]Source: [/FONT]http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-02/air-force-grants-9-million-award-for-as-many-as-18-000-ipad2s.html

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipaddeveloper888 said:
shoulda waited a few more days!

They probably got a HUGE discount.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No matter which model they buy, by the time it processes, it will be outdated.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
No matter which model they buy, by the time it processes, it will be outdated.

Somehow, I don't think they care about that. ;)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the time they are ready to ship the order, these will all be iPad 3s

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw this on the fox news page. Turns out that shortly after they placed the order the canceled it.
They may have placed the order once again, and but last heard the order for the IPad2 was dead in the water.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed that I can no longer edit my posts. What gives?
I use to be able to edit them from my PC and or my tablet and now I can't from either.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Androidfonefan said:
Just noticed that I can no longer edit my posts. What gives?
I use to be able to edit them from my PC and or my tablet and now I can't from either.

Members can't edit their posts in the news section but you should still have the editing functionality in other forums here.

The Archangel

seikooc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Androidfonefan said:
I saw this on the fox news page. Turns out that shortly after they placed the order the canceled it.
They may have placed the order once again, and but last heard the order for the IPad2 was dead in the water.

Maybe due to it being announced? I don't know about the US but here in the UK if the army announced spending 9m on iPads in the middle of massive cuts to all services, the public would go coocoo banana brains!!

:) seikooc :(

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Androidfonefan said:
Ok, do you know why we can edit in one place and not another?

Nope although I'm certain that there is a reason but I can't recall what it is.......but if you need a post editing let us know and we can take care of that for you.

The Archangel

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
one the biggest airliners is starting to use ipads to replace all the paper manuals in all airplanes...they claim the cost savings in fuel alone froorm all the added pounds(kiograms) not being on the planes any more makes very cost effective

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dMog said:
one the biggest airliners is starting to use ipads to replace all the paper manuals in all airplanes...they claim the cost savings in fuel alone froorm all the added pounds(kiograms) not being on the planes any more makes very cost effective

Yes I did hear this also.

Most reactions

Latest posts