What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upload docs to icloud

cbradley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have iPad2 with ios5 and 2 pc's with windows 7 and iCloud installed and set up. I also have Pages and Numbers
though I never use them as I always use Word and Excel.

How do you upload Word or Excel docs? The only options I see when I log on to iCloud are Mail, Contacts, Bookmarks and Photo Stream. Can docs only be uploaded from a Mac? Also in GoodReader there is an iCloud section. If I put
Photos or docs into this section they don't appear on the pc's.

Thanks your help
Carl Bradley

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you update the iWorks app to the latest version, and turn Document & Data on in the iCloud settings, then you can keep all your Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents synced in iCloud. You will also see another icon at icloud.com for iWorks. You can use this to upload/download iWorks documents via a desktop web browser.

I don't know of any app that supports Excel or Word document syncing with iCloud at this time. I'm not even sure it is possible for a developer to give you web or computer access to the files if an app does use iCloud to sync. With the exception of the icloud.com apps Apple supplies, iCloud is mostly about device to device syncing.

At this time you can only access files stored in iCloud by GoodReader from GoodReader, though you can do that from multiple devices. I'm thinking a developer would have to write an app for your computer for it to access the files, if that is possible. If it is, it would not surprise me if GoodReader is the fist to do it.

At this point, DropBox, Box.net, and other similar cloud-file-sharing services are still your best bet for non-Apple apps and documents.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

magyar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK that clarified it.

Thank you very much.
Magyar

If you update the iWorks app to the latest version, and turn Document & Data on in the iCloud settings, then you can keep all your Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents synced in iCloud. You will also see another icon at icloud.com for iWorks. You can use this to upload/download iWorks documents via a desktop web browser.

I don't know of any app that supports Excel or Word document syncing with iCloud at this time. I'm not even sure it is possible for a developer to give you web or computer access to the files if an app does use iCloud to sync. With the exception of the icloud.com apps Apple supplies, iCloud is mostly about device to device syncing.

At this time you can only access files stored in iCloud by GoodReader from GoodReader, though you can do that from multiple devices. I'm thinking a developer would have to write an app for your computer for it to access the files, if that is possible. If it is, it would not surprise me if GoodReader is the fist to do it.

At this point, DropBox, Box.net, and other similar cloud-file-sharing services are still your best bet for non-Apple apps and documents.

Cuberoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No problem.

Er... So are you saying that it is not possible to transfer word documents to the iPad?? Part of the blurb for Pages is that it can read MS word, but if I can't get the documents on to the iPad...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cuberoot said:
Er... So are you saying that it is not possible to transfer word documents to the iPad?? Part of the blurb for Pages is that it can read MS word, but if I can't get the documents on to the iPad...

Not using iCloud. There are other ways, including email, DropBox, and Box.net.

Most reactions