What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sticking with iPad 1 and 2 for now. Will see what else emerges.

I use my grandfathered unlimited 3G SIM interchangeably between the two (depends on which is better charged as I head out the door), and I don't want to give up that flexibility for a better screen, which I see as the primary improvement in the new model.

Tim Cook said in his keynote that they're just getting started with improvements this year with the new iPad, and I'm curious what will come out in the next six months or so, before holiday distribution ramps up.

Whether or not that pans out, there are always new gadgets from one maker or another, so there's always something else to look forward to. We're lucky to have so many choices.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am upgrading my iPad because I decided on a two year upgrade path for now. I think what i am looking forward to most is the 4G. I like the ideal of the retina screen, and some of the other features. However, if it weren't for other issues, I could have been willing to wait until summer to upgrade. My only concern was about going to the 64Gb model. I do not use all of my 32Gb now, and a third of that is in music, so I think I should be OK. I do think that next year, Apple will increase the SSD densities. Once the full production of retina displays is achieved and failure rates go down, the price to Apple should be lowered enough to allow the change to larger SSDs. One positive note is that unless a better technology emerges to produce equivalent screens, with lower cost and power consumption, there will not be any changes in that front for a long time. This means that while Apple will not sit still on that front, they will be concentrating effort into other improvements. Getting Retina display into production was a major effort on their part. It is up to us as individuals to decide what we want and when we want it. The iPad is only going to improve.

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually going to keep my ip2 until it does not wake up someday. Then I will look into the possibility of a fix. The ipad2 is a great device. Meanwhile my delivery date for a 3rd gen iPad is the 16 th. early on it will most likely power up for an occasional xplane9 flight or a movie . I understand it's easy to sell an ipad2 64gig if the ip3 is as amazing as we hear it is.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the have a 1 and 2 category too. I use the 2 the most now, but still around the house if I want to look something up and walk downstairs to show someone something, I might do that with the 1, so it's not like the 1 is just sitting around.
And I concur that I like the sturdy feel to the 1, although at the same time, the slimmer profile to the 2 makes it helpful as I now use the 2 as my note taker, having a nice BT keyboard all built into a case with little bulk, but props up to look like a netbook. The case only fits the 2. Around the house, I keep the smart cover on the 2.
At some point, who knows, a year and a half from now right before the next iPad comes out, I'll end up with a 3, or maybe not. LOL, but at some point in several years, it will get ridiculous. I planned to skip the 2, but ended up with it anyway just recently, so in no way will I have the 3 anytime soon.

Alexander_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I wana upgrade my Ipad,
But i dont know how can i do it..so any one help me?

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alexander_john said:
Hello,
I wana upgrade my Ipad,
But i dont know how can i do it..so any one help me?

Upgrade the device itself or the OS? To upgrade the OS, if you have lower than 5.0, plug it into your computer, open itunes and upgrade it.

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad1 when it came out. Then I bought the iPad2 and passed my iPad1 down to my wife. I am a bit stuck now... since I don't have another wife to pass the iPad2, if I were to buy the iPad3. I'm trying to figure out a way to pass her iPad1 down to someone else... but I just can't justify the expense. So, I guess I will pass on the iPad3 for now.

:)

OP
AlxiPad

AlxiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lkilgore said:
I bought the iPad1 when it came out. Then I bought the iPad2 and passed my iPad1 down to my wife. I am a bit stuck now... since I don't have another wife to pass the iPad2, if I were to buy the iPad3. I'm trying to figure out a way to pass her iPad1 down to someone else... but I just can't justify the expense. So, I guess I will pass on the iPad3 for now.

:)

Ever looked at what you would get on resale value?

Sent from my iPad 2

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll never get very much out of resale, as compared to what I originally paid. I had to buy my iPad1 in Kuwait, which added about $300 USD to the normal Apple price. Now that I live in Korea, I have a friend here who might pay me $400 USD for it... so I am considering it.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim Cook said in his keynote that they're just getting started with improvements this year with the new iPad, and I'm curious what will come out in the next six months or so, before holiday distribution ramps up.
...We're lucky to have so many choices.
I would think he meant software improvements. It would be way to early to start thinking IPad4.

BTW: Yes, screen is the primary improvement - but the screen is the entire reason for owning the device in the first place as opposed to an iphone or touch. I skipped iPad1&2 entirely, since I knew they must have a screen improved device coming. Not sure I could justify upgrading a 2 if I had just bought it last year. However, you still can sell it for a fair amount and use the money towards a 3.

I would expect the iPad 4 will be OLED screen which will reduce power consumption (20+ hrs), weight, size, and make reading in sunlight much better. However, don't expect that for 18 months - as OLED is just not there yet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think he meant software improvements. It would be way to early to start thinking IPad4.

BTW: Yes, screen is the primary improvement - but the screen is the entire reason for owning the device in the first place as opposed to an iphone or touch. I skipped iPad1&2 entirely, since I knew they must have a screen improved device coming. Not sure I could justify upgrading a 2 if I had just bought it last year. However, you still can sell it for a fair amount and use the money towards a 3.

I would expect the iPad 4 will be OLED screen which will reduce power consumption (20+ hrs), weight, size, and make reading in sunlight much better. However, don't expect that for 18 months - as OLED is just not there yet.

I think he could've meant other hardware. Doesn't have to be iPad, or could be a 7" or 8" iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts