What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading from IOS 4.3 to latest version

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was given an iPad 1st gen with IOS 4.3 a while back. I've used it a bit and added things like Audio.com books, some songs, some apps, etc. Now I find I need IOS 6 to get some newer apps.

How do I upgrade from 4.3 to 6 without losing any of myiPad settings or apps/audio books/etc? With 4.3 I can not use iCloud for backups? I'm concerned that if I simply try to go from 4.3 to 6 that I'll end up with an iPad that won't work, or that I'll lose all my settings and apps and then not know how to fix things.

I grew up using PCs and am a novice with the iPad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a first generation iPad (the iPad1) can only go up to iOS 5.1.1. Apple did not make it so this iPad can go any higher.

To upgrade to iOS 5.1, you'll first want to make a backup in iTunes. Then, after the upgrade, you can restore that backup - which makes it so you've lost no data, settings or app data. It's part of the upgrade process (you make the backup - iTunes wipes the device to put the new iOS on - when prompted during the process, you elect to use your backup). It's worked well for me over many upgrades (I started with iOS 3.x something).

Again, that won't help you use apps that require iOS 6.x. With those, I'm afraid you can't install them (or upgrade them if they are already on your iPad). Sorry.

Marilyn

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was given an iPad 1st gen with IOS 4.3 a while back. I've used it a bit and added things like Audio.com books, some songs, some apps, etc. Now I find I need IOS 6 to get some newer apps.

How do I upgrade from 4.3 to 6 without losing any of myiPad settings or apps/audio books/etc? With 4.3 I can not use iCloud for backups? I'm concerned that if I simply try to go from 4.3 to 6 that I'll end up with an iPad that won't work, or that I'll lose all my settings and apps and then not know how to fix things.

I grew up using PCs and am a novice with the iPad.

Hello Bob. You will not be able to upgrade your iPad1 to iOS6 simply because it has only 256MB of RAM and will not sustain the iOS6 firmware. IOS6 is unfortunately not compatible with your nice machine. And I say nice because it is still very usable indeed even if you can't get all the current software updates. There are just so many functions you can still enjoy.

Why not breathe some life into your iPad by jailbreaking it? This is not as scary as it sounds and will give you access to some marvelous apps, via the Cydia apps catalogue. You would enjoy apps there that even us non-jailbroken iPadders can't get. You will need to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 and then just enjoy a whole new experience! BUT before you do that, I suggest you first carefully read the great tutorials produced by our Super Moderator f4780y in the iPad Hacking sub forum. If you follow those step by step instructions you won't go wrong.
Enjoy your new acquisition:)

EDIT: Mickey330 above, who is also a recognized expert on jailbreaking just got in ahead of me, for which I'm grateful:). Take on board Marilyn's instructions above before proceeding further.

Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative and the very quick feedback - I apprecaite your help. Well at lease I can still read ebooks I get from the library and the audio.com books I listen to when going on trips.

R

Most reactions

Latest posts