What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading from iOS 4.3.5 to iOS 5.1 - step-by-step guide?

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to upgrade from 4.3.5 to 5.1 but am very nervous when having to deal with iTunes as wiped an iPod Classic a few years ago. Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere which tells me exactly what to backup and so on please? I know that there's a sticky for if you have a problem with the upgrade but I haven't got there yet.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pinmac said:
I need to upgrade from 4.3.5 to 5.1 but am very nervous when having to deal with iTunes as wiped an iPod Classic a few years ago. Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere which tells me exactly what to backup and so on please? I know that there's a sticky for if you have a problem with the upgrade but I haven't got there yet.

Below you will find some links to help you, one is a visual which is very good. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your PC/Mac and backup everything. It's a good idea to also disable your virus protection for the duration of the update.
[video=vimeo;30421920]http://vimeo.com/30421920[/video]
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/50385-how-do-i-upgrade-ios-5-a.html#post345719
And here's a troubleshooting thread, although I don't think you will need it, but just in case.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html#post339338
Good luck and let us know how you go.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
P

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Leelai, haven't had time to look at the video yet, will need to find a quiet few minutes. Have hit the first problem. I can't update from iTunes 10.5.2.11 to 10.5.3. It fails and suggests that I download manually. I download but then there doesn't appear to be a way to install. So I thought I'd uninstall iTunes and reinstall (which I've had to do before) but I'm unable to uninstall either. I get an error message saying "Error writing to file: C:\Config.Msi\612d378.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory." Any suggestions from anybody as to what I can try next?

OP
P

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot to say that I am the administrator.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's very unusual that it won't let you update iTunes. I can't say iTunes is my friend either. I'm hoping someone else will chime in here to figure this out.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
P

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just watched the video - really useful and just what I was looking for. Still can't get iTunes to update though so if anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

OP
P

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Leelai, but I tried it with the anti-virus switched off and still the same result. Don't know where to go from here.

Most reactions

Latest posts