What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upgrade to IOS 7.1

psk2299

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have trouble, C: drive less 1GB free size, but I want to upgrade IOS to 7.1.X from 6.0.X , run that "iTunes" around 1.14 GB size, in this case, how to download that upgrade to other drive, or USB flash drive first. and that 1.14GB size, is look very large, is it 3rd download manger (split...) to download first... and is it MUST connected that USB/Light Cable, connected that IPAD when file download until finish.? advice please! EDIT: if single IPAD via WiFi connected network, this method can't because network connecting speed too slow...

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Move some files temporarily from C: to another drive to free enough space, do the iOS update, then move the files back.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
P

psk2299

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, this advice, same as apple suggest. found someone said it is saved to C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes but that default path can changed to E:. If installed "iTunes" is NOT C:, is E: (my USB Flash Drive) is it fixed my problem? first wrong design. C: create 10GB free size only. All is look large application changed to D:, but I not resize that C: free size. and network problem, used network too slow, is it possible first, goto library to get that IOS7.1.x media, and burn to CD/ or save to USB Drive. and go home, run it/upgrade?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's no real point in burning it to a DVD as once the iOS stops signing, the DVD is useless. You can download it directly from your browser into your flash drive as your save point, but you'll still need at least 2GB of space if not more because the IPSW has to be extracted (applies for the DVD method you brought up), and it will be extracted locally, so you'll technically need at least 3.2GB of space if you want to download and install the IPSW without the use of a flash drive. Best way around this is to delete an application that's taking up a substantial amount of hard disk space and reinstalling it later, or, as LannyC point out, move some substantially large files from your computer into either your flash drive or a large capacity cloud storage temporarily, delete the copies on the computer itself, then replace them after the iTunes upgrade/update

OP
P

psk2299

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, if direct to ios 7.1.X, which direct link to get it.? and after get it, is it start from flash drive to setup, no need via iTunes? C: original 10GB free size, but everything is \program files file more than (temp file, large size file, and temp file, firefox cache/temp file. /window pagefile file was use that flash drive to handle. 10GB, now. free less 1GB, but hard deleted more files. I can uninstall itunes,and install to other drive, is work, but also, use that C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes to temp store that core file, how to changed drive? USB flash drive is 16GB, must enough install if changed path to that.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks, if direct to ios 7.1.X, which direct link to get it.? and after get it, is it start from flash drive to setup, no need via iTunes? C: original 10GB free size, but everything is \program files file more than (temp file, large size file, and temp file, firefox cache/temp file. /window pagefile file was use that flash drive to handle. 10GB, now. free less 1GB, but hard deleted more files. I can uninstall itunes,and install to other drive, is work, but also, use that C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes to temp store that core file, how to changed drive? USB flash drive is 16GB, must enough install if changed path to that.

You have to have iTunes. Which link you use depends on your iPad. Here is a thread for direct and original links. Download the IPSW that matches that of your device. When you've downloaded the IPSW, open up iTunes, connect your device, and hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac) and click the "Restore" button, and point it to the IPSW in your flash drive.

Unless your hard drive is an old 60GB hard drive and you're running a 64 professional version of Windows, I don't see any way to not be able to free up some space.

OP
P

psk2299

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, still used window xp. but C: my friend set that origial size is 10GB, D: 70GB, total 80GB hard drive size. it hard to think 80GB hdd still work, no problem. I am so lucky. but is look latest version 7.0.6 not 7.1.x first I not understand is it NEED upgrade to 7.1.X and still used 6.0.2, is it suggest first setup 6.1.3, if no problem , just closed upgrade. apple said can't decrease that version, must upgrade to latest version, not step-by-step 6.0/6.1/6.2/7.0/7.1 that

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks, still used window xp. but C: my friend set that origial size is 10GB, D: 70GB, total 80GB hard drive size. it hard to think 80GB hdd still work, no problem. I am so lucky. but is look latest version 7.0.6 not 7.1.x first I not understand is it NEED upgrade to 7.1.X and still used 6.0.2, is it suggest first setup 6.1.3, if no problem , just closed upgrade. apple said can't decrease that version, must upgrade to latest version, not step-by-step 6.0/6.1/6.2/7.0/7.1 that

If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, no, you do not have to upgrade to each and every iOS as a stepping stone leading up to the latest iOS. In fact (unfortunately), that's not possible. If you restore or update using iTunes, it just skips from your current firmware to the latest firmware, so all you need is the iOS 7.1 or 7.1.1 IPSW for your specific branch of device (i.e. iPad 2 Wifi or iPad 2 GSM or iPad 2 CDMA, etc).

There aren't any special steps. But do note, that since your computer lacks storage space, more than likely your computer will probably not have enough storage space to make a backup of your device, in which case, you'll have to use the update feature. Download the IPSW, and hold Shift and click "Check for Updates" in iTunes with your iPad connected, and point it to the IPSW that you downloaded.

To explain the difference:
  • If you click Restore or Shift + Restore, you will wipe your device completely, no data will remain. A fresh slate if you'd like to call it that
  • If you click Check for Updates, it will retain your data but at the same time upgrade your firmware.
How does the second option differ from OTA update (in settings)? The second option does not does not steal 500 MB of your iPad's space for essentially "nothing" or "attic storage", meaning you'll have 500MB more space to work with on your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts