What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

over the air Delta update for apps

advsahir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all

i think i asked the wrong question as i did not understand the OTA update feature correctly. heres my query!

as we all know ios 5 will bring 'delta' over the air updates but there is no info (it could be tht i have missed it) if the same funcitonality will be there for the apps?

delta updates implies that only the changes are downloaded and not the entire software again so if a file is say 700mb the update can be of only 50-60mb (i dont know how to put this technically)

i only ask because updating is a real pain (atleast here in india where the broadband/cellular speeds are pathetic) especially when the update offers nothing substantial and contains just few bug fixes but the customer ends up downloading 700 mb (for games atleast).

Last edited:

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty sure over the air updates just means it can be downloaded and installed directly on device without needing a computer. Since apps already do this, then nothing has changed for them.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can expect to see delta app updates as well, though not likely broadly supported in the first release. Apples apps will be he first ones to use the new API calls I'm sure.

-t

Most reactions