What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

updating 4.3.3 to 5.1.1

yoyoya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I have tried to update iOS 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 using a computer that was never connected to the iPad before. iTunes said that I need to backup all purchased items because they will be erased. But when I tried to sync the iPad apps, iTunes said the iPad is synced with a library on another computer and it can only be synced to a single library. It asked if I want to replace the current iPad library with the PC library. I did not confirm that since the current PC iTunes library has nothing on it and replacing the iPad's library with the PC library may delete the library I am using on the iPad

So at this point I gave up on the upgrade and came here to gather some information

What should I do in order not to lose purchased items from the iPad? I want to upgrade via iTunes but it seems this is an infinite loop, and that breaking the loop by confirming any of the suggested iTunes messages may delete my purchased items.

The previous time the iPad was connected and files on it were managed via iTunes, it was a mac and that mac is not available anymore
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dennykrane said:
Can't you upgrade over wifi without using itunes, settings/general/software update
Plug into power first though.

The OP is currently on iOS 4.3.3,you can't update over the air until you are on iOS 5 or higher.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dennykrane said:
Can't you upgrade over wifi without using itunes, settings/general/software update
Plug into power first though.

Yes, as Scifan stated this can only be done with ios 5.0 or greater. Over the air (OTA) syncing/updating was one of the biggest features that was highlighted with this large update from 4.3.5 to 5.0 from October 2011.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I have tried to update iOS 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 using a computer that was never connected to the iPad before. iTunes said that I need to backup all purchased items because they will be erased. But when I tried to sync the iPad apps, iTunes said the iPad is synced with a library on another computer and it can only be synced to a single library. It asked if I want to replace the current iPad library with the PC library. I did not confirm that since the current PC iTunes library has nothing on it and replacing the iPad's library with the PC library may delete the library I am using on the iPad

So at this point I gave up on the upgrade and came here to gather some information

What should I do in order not to lose purchased items from the iPad? I want to upgrade via iTunes but it seems this is an infinite loop, and that breaking the loop by confirming any of the suggested iTunes messages may delete my purchased items.

The previous time the iPad was connected and files on it were managed via iTunes, it was a mac and that mac is not available anymore
Thanks

First off, no, you cannot upgrade over-the-air (OTA) unless you are already in iOS 5. To go from iOS 4 to 5 requires a computer and an up-to-date iTunes.

Apple does have what is essentially a "one iTunes for one iPad" policy. It makes it difficult to transfer computers, as you have found. If you intend to use that iTunes on that new computer, then authorize that iTunes with your Apple ID as a first step.

So, you'll need to set up the iTunes you have now as the one you used before is gone. The first thing is to connect the iPad to that iTunes. If iTunes tells you that you need to upgrade, dismiss that prompt for now. When the iPad appears in the left column, right click on the line and select "Transfer Purchases." The iPad and iTunes will then work to transfer all the apps on the iPad over to iTunes.

After that is done, right click again and select "Backup." This will create a backup of the contents of your iPad over to that iTunes. Note that I am not sure if it will back up your contacts, pictures, music, etc. I think it will only do it for stuff that was already in iTunes (such as the apps you just synced). But, I could be wrong...

Once the backup is complete, then select Upgrade from the main Summary menu. iTunes should then do its magic and upgrade your iPad to iOS 5.1.1. At the end, you will receive a prompt from iTunes - select the one that allows you to restore from backup. This will have iTunes put the apps and such you had back on the iPad.

This will not be a perfect transfer of apps, settings and data because you are not using the same iTunes you initially synced the iPad to. However, it's the best available. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey has the best solution available in your circumstances.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts