What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated to ios7 and photos are stretched?

winsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I just updated to iOS 7 and tried to change my wallpaper, no problem, but when it shows it is stretched out and I can't see all of it. When I go to set as wallpaper there is a move and size text but nothing happens. Can someone please help? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to avoid having the photos appearing distorted or blurry, you must make sure you start with the minimum resolution for the iPad.

So, on an iPad2, the picture should be no smaller than 1024 x 1024; while for the retina iPads (iPad 3 and up), the picture must be 2048 x 2048.

I believe our old way of setting up the wallpaper has been changed - the iPad will now try to force the resolution. I have found the best solution to a blurrier picture (if you have one that is smaller than your iPad's screen resolution) is to take a screen shot of the picture.

This will force the picture to be the proper size and then it won't be blurry. Yes, you will have black or white edges, but that's what I think we'll need to do with smaller size pictures.

Marilyn

OP
W

winsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to avoid having the photos appearing distorted or blurry, you must make sure you start with the minimum resolution for the iPad.

So, on an iPad2, the picture should be no smaller than 1024 x 1024; while for the retina iPads (iPad 3 and up), the picture must be 2048 x 2048.

I believe our old way of setting up the wallpaper has been changed - the iPad will now try to force the resolution. I have found the best solution to a blurrier picture (if you have one that is smaller than your iPad's screen resolution) is to take a screen shot of the picture.

This will force the picture to be the proper size and then it won't be blurry. Yes, you will have black or white edges, but that's what I think we'll need to do with smaller size pictures.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn

The problem is not the resolution. The photos worked fine earlier today then I updated to iOS 7 and now they are stretched out. Not sure why this happened. Also the icons look larger than they did before. Not really happy with the update.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the best solution to a blurrier picture (if you have one that is smaller than your iPad's screen resolution) is to take a screen shot of the picture. This will force the picture to be the proper size and then it won't be blurry. Yes, you will have black or white edges, but that's what I think we'll need to do with smaller size pictures. Marilyn

That is a brilliant tip......I only wish that I could have thought of it (now I'm going to steal it and pretend that I came up with it all on my own!)

The Archangel

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The tip doesn't work for me, the iPad seems to be locked to a centre point on a picture, no amount of scaling or moving will reposition it from this centre. In wallpaper settings I can't even get the zoomed wallpaper to move vertically, it just slides from left to right and snaps back to the same centre point, the same with scaling, I pinch it and the picture resizes then snaps back when I release it.

Even when using the screenshot method the wallpaper does not centre my picture correctly to the landscape orientation, the white vertical bars do not appear on both sides of the wallpaper, it's still offset. The devs have borked a piece of code which worked fine before the update, how something so obvious can get through beta is beyond me.

It's a trivial bug, but annoying all the same.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The tip doesn't work for me, the iPad seems to be locked to a centre point on a picture, no amount of scaling or moving will reposition it from this centre. In wallpaper settings I can't even get the zoomed wallpaper to move vertically, it just slides from left to right and snaps back to the same centre point, the same with scaling, I pinch it and the picture resizes then snaps back when I release it.

Even when using the screenshot method the wallpaper does not centre my picture correctly to the landscape orientation, the white vertical bars do not appear on both sides of the wallpaper, it's still offset. The devs have borked a piece of code which worked fine before the update, how something so obvious can get through beta is beyond me.

It's a trivial bug, but annoying all the same.

Yeah, I wish the tip worked, too. For a while, there, I thought it did. But, nope.

The only solution/workaround I have found is to crop or resize a picture to fit the dimensions of the iPad in the view you want to use it. So, in landscape on an iPad2, use 1024w x 768h (reverse for portrait). On the iPad3 or higher, use 2048w x 1536h for landscape (again, reverse for portrait).

It still does not come out perfectly (darn it!) but it does come close.

And, if you have a picture that is not bigger than these sizes so you can resize it down, you can crop as long as you make it so the shorter side is 1 1/3 smaller ( as in, take the longer side, divide it by 1.33 to get the size).

Annoying? You betcha!

In the hopes that this behavior or setting the wallpaper is a bug, not a feature, may I suggest (ask?) we all bombard Apple's feedback contact about this? Heck, even if it's deliberate on Apple's part, maybe if enough people urge them to "fix" it, they'll listen.

The feedback link is here (just pick iPad as your device): http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Marilyn

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
feedback link is here (just pick iPad as your device): http://www.apple.com/feedback/ Marilyn

Thanks for the link, I sent my feedback, I've no idea if it will be read though. Funny thing about the iPad feedback page is when selecting the OS it just lists OS X (10.xxx) versions, these are for Apple computers aren't they? it would seem a bug is also present on that web page.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I sent my feedback, I've no idea if it will be read though. Funny thing about the iPad feedback page is when selecting the OS it just lists OS X (10.xxx) versions, these are for Apple computers aren't they? it would seem a bug is also present on that web page.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Dunno why they'd have it that way. Thank goodness it didn't error out because I didn't put in a software version! :)

In further developments, while scouring the Internet on this oh-so-annoying feature (bug?) for setting wallpaper, I found this [free] iPhone-only app called InstaFix (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instasize-post-entire-photos/id576649830?mt=8). If you install it on the iPad and use it to make your picture as small as it'll go, and save it, you can then use the whole picture to make your wallpaper. You'll have to zoom it up(and you may end up with white borders ... but it's one of the easiest ways I've found to get as close to the "old way" as I've found.

Marilyn

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Dunno why they'd have it that way. Thank goodness it didn't error out because I didn't put in a software version! :) In further developments, while scouring the Internet on this oh-so-annoying feature (bug?) for setting wallpaper, I found this [free] iPhone-only app called InstaFix (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instasize-post-entire-photos/id576649830?mt=8). If you install it on the iPad and use it to make your picture as small as it'll go, and save it, you can then use the whole picture to make your wallpaper. You'll have to zoom it up(and you may end up with white borders ... but it's one of the easiest ways I've found to get as close to the "old way" as I've found. Marilyn

Thanks for that link too, I read about it myself but didn't think it would work on iPad. I'll download it and try it when I get some time though I'm considering firing up my computer and just resizing my favourite wallpapers to fit the proper dimensions of the retina screen in landscape mode, it's the only mode I Use anyway.

Another thing that bothers me about this OS, not to mention the GIANT ugly grey bar at the bottom of the screen. is the lock screen wallpaper, I have my iPad set to auto switch on when the cover opens, when it does all I get is the dumb blank screen with the big circular entry digit numbers, what's the point of a lock screen wallpaper when you very rarely see it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[little snip]...

Another thing that bothers me about this OS, not to mention the GIANT ugly grey bar at the bottom of the screen. is the lock screen wallpaper, I have my iPad set to auto switch on when the cover opens, when it does all I get is the dumb blank screen with the big circular entry digit numbers, what's the point of a lock screen wallpaper when you very rarely see it?

Well, you could turn off the cover's ability to wake up the iPad from sleep. :) But, that won't help to see the lockscreen wallpaper unless you turned off the Passcode lock.

So, I see no way around it for you...

Marilyn

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you could turn off the cover's ability to wake up the iPad from sleep. :) But, that won't help to see the lockscreen wallpaper unless you turned off the Passcode lock. So, I see no way around it for you... Marilyn

Yeah, but that kinda negates the whole point of having a lock screen wallpaper to start with, doesn't it? Why not just have the wallpaper show through the new number entry screen? The old OS 6 had the wallpaper with the box for number entry. I guess a degree of shaded transparency is something they forgot while being carried away with the whole parallax "enhancement" that has been related to the wallpaper problems we are now having. Shaded transparency would also reduce the ugly look of the grey bar and folder backgrounds, I'm sure others would agree with me on that point.

Is it just me that thinks the iPad is starting to look like Windows with this new OS?

Most reactions

Latest posts