What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated iPad will not use gmail and only will allow iCloud mail.

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friend of mine upgraded her iPad 2 to iOS 6 and now cannot get her gmail and can only use iCloud email. I emailed her back stating that gmail, as far as I know, is Google mail and that may be the problem.

I do not use iCloud for anything except to find my iPad and backup my contacts, so I don't know what to tell her with that. Is it because iPad no longer suppoorts gmail and the default is iCloud? And is her gmail problem due to its being Google mail?

I am sooo not upgrading unless an app I need to use agsolutely needs to be updated and rhe update needs iOS 6.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me on this.

OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NeedToKnow said:
Friend of mine upgraded her iPad 2 to iOS 6 and now cannot get her gmail and can only use iCloud email. I emailed her back stating that gmail, as far as I know, is Google mail and that may be the problem.

I do not use iCloud for anything except to find my iPad and backup my contacts, so I don't know what to tell her with that. Is it because iPad no longer suppoorts gmail and the default is iCloud? And is her gmail problem due to its being Google mail?

I am sooo not upgrading unless an app I need to use agsolutely needs to be updated and rhe update needs iOS 6.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me on this.

OK, additional information. She gets this when trying ro access her gmail with the iOS 6 mail on the iPad2: mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding.

She said it was working when she was at home, but not with her G3. She is getting roadrunner (after a little glitch). I doubt it is the G3 service becausemshe can get on the internet and get her gmail through the Google site, but gmail won't come through or send out through the mail app on her iPad2 since the iOS6 update.

OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NeedToKnow said:
OK, additional information. She gets this when trying ro access her gmail with the iOS 6 mail on the iPad2: mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding.

She said it was working when she was at home, but not with her G3. She is getting roadrunner (after a little glitch). I doubt it is the G3 service becausemshe can get on the internet and get her gmail through the Google site, but gmail won't come through or send out through the mail app on her iPad2 since the iOS6 update.

More info, I sent her an email to her roadrunner account and she never received that. She can now only use her @me account.

Does anyone know what cluld be causing this? I was fling to tellher to delete all of her email accounts and re-enter them. Does that slund like a good idea?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gmail works fine, so something has gone hinky with the gmail account settings possibly during or after the update. It would be fine to delete the account and have it set up from scratch. No emails would be lost, as they are all stored out on their Gmail account.

OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Gmail works fine, so something has gone hinky with the gmail account settings possibly during or after the update. It would be fine to delete the account and have it set up from scratch. No emails would be lost, as they are all stored out on their Gmail account.

That what she is going to do. Turns out she is still having roadrunner problems and will delete that also. She had to write down all of her appts because she uses that calendar from the iPad that is connected to the gmail. I use an app calendar myself. I told her she can turn her calendar on in the iCloud settinga and possibly back it up there. I would assume she already has that turned on and doesn't eealize it because she does use the cloud, again unlike myself, except for locating and backing up my contacts.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the Calendar app is syncing with Google, then the calendar events should be on the Google site and will sync back when set up again.

Just have her go to the Google Calendar site in a web browser and make sure her events are there. If they are she doesn't need to write anything down. They will sync back when the account is set up again.

If the events are not being synced to Google, then they should not be affected by deleting the GMail account.

OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
She removed the Gmail account and put it back in and everything is fine now. It even straightened out her roadrunner acct.I think it was what was said in thenother reply. Something got wonky with the update. Her calendar is fine also.

Thanks for the replies. This place is great.

Most reactions

Latest posts