What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown app on home screen

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an app that appeared on my home screen. When I try to open it, it just shows it is waiting and nothing happens. When I try to delete it nothing happens. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an app that appeared on my home screen. When I try to open it, it just shows it is waiting and nothing happens. When I try to delete it nothing happens. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Try restarting your iPad. Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPad to restart. Then open the App Store to see if the incomplete download is gone.

OP
S

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried as you suggested. There is no incomplete download appearing in the App Store. Any other suggestions?

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to see this app, can you post screen shot?

OP
S

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 272

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it appear in settings/General/storage &iCloud usage/manage storage in that condition? (assuming you are using ios9)If so maybe you can delete it there. I would think it should be there. If not I would compare what's is there to what is on my screen to find out the problem app

OP
S

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on OS 8.4.1, however following your instructions I see OS 9.0.2 update listed. I'm wondering if I hit the download by mistake and cancelled it? Would I be able to delete it and reload if I decide to do the update?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That looks more like a Safari Home Screen shortcut than an app; which would explain why it isn't listed alongside the other apps.

The patter shown is typical of a Safari shortcut icon if the web image data gets lost.

Sorry, but other than the usual stuff, I have no idea of how to get rid of a stuck shortcut; if that's what it is.

OP
S

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I will just keep searching to try and find a resolution. Thanks for your help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try opening it. If it's a shortcut, it will lead you to the site, and when you go back to the homescreen after opening the website completely, the icon should look different.

When iOS 8 was released, many users experienced "broken" Safari bookmarks on their homescreen, which made them look exactly like the one on your screenshot. The fix to get them working again, was to turn off Passcode Lock in Settings. Maybe this will help as well in your case.

Last edited:
OP
S

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to open it, nothing happens. It just shows it is waiting. I tried turning Passcode Lock off, but nothing changed. Thanks for your suggestions.

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would do the update to 9.0.2 and hope for the best. I can tell you that 9.0.2 is good on my mini. I'm happy with 9.0.2 No big problems yet. Good luck!

OP
S

seab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would do the update to 9.0.2 and hope for the best. I can tell you that 9.0.2 is good on my mini. I'm happy with 9.0.2 No big problems yet. Good luck!

I may have to do that. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts