What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under Safari, increasing number sites not pinch zoom-able?

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I going mad or do I have a wrong Setting on my 128GB iPad Air 2? I am finding so many websites simply no longer allow zooming on the fly and are locked full-screen. That means the text portions need a microscope to be read or I just give up and go to my MacBookPro or find a PC... I am using the iPad in Landscape because this fits with the work I do... A recent example (a forum) was perfectly ok but I believe since the last iOS update the site presents purely as micro-tiny text and there's no chance of zooming so my ageing eyes can read it. As always, thanks for advice and apologies if this has already been discussed. One weird thing is that if I home button from here now, select Safari for the particular Forum, it's fully pinch zoom-able but once updated it re-locks! The site URL I used to visit a lot on the iPad but don't bother now (have to use a computer) EEVblog Electronics Community Forum - Index

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing but always assumed it was a characteristic of the web site and not due to the IOS version. The site you referenced is also not zoom-able on my fully updated Air 2. Maybe someone else here will know more about this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is the sites. A lot of them are going to a fixed layout for mobile devices, including Google's search results. Sometimes you can bypass the by requesrtin the desktop version of the site. To do this tap-hold the refresh icon in the URL field of the browser, then select Request Desktop Site.

This setting usualy lasts until you close the tab.

image.png

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, who'd have thought such a 'secret tap-hold' feature had arrived and zip-nadda of any fan-fair made about it... Perhaps there was and I missed it completely... I know it's a 1st for me and I am on my iPad everyday. Anywho.... Thanks so much, I can also now put my iPad back to normal looking font from having gone over to permanent Bold on the text option.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. The Request Desktop Site feature has been arround for a while, but it was hiding in a differn't place before iOS 9. It's never been a front-and-center feature.

Most reactions

Latest posts