What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to upgrade to iOS 10 - security risk?

Casey_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, all.

Very long time no see, I know. Things have been going well with my device. According to the model number, I can't upgrade my iPad Mini 1st gen to iOS 10. Is there any realistic chance that this could pose a security risk?

Many thanks,

Casey

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The latest update to iOS 9 is, as far as we know, reasonably secure. It's hard to say what Apple will do if a major security exploit should be discovered for iOS 9 and/or older devices. They may offer another iOS update just for older devices (they've done it before for the iPad 1), or they may not. It will 'probably' depend on how sever Apple thinks the risk is (and how many older devices are still active).

But for now, you should be fine.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has, in the past, released security patches for the previous version of iOS for those devices which can't update to the latest version. One that stands out is the iOS 6.1.6 release for the iPod touch 4th generation and iPhone 3GS.

Last edited:

Most reactions