What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to turn passcode off/turn off erase data

onecrazystitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an iPad 4 that I received from my school. I wish to turn the passcode function off, but the option is not available. (Grayed out.) Similarly, the erase data function (that wipes the iPad after 8 incorrect passcode entries) is also grayed out. So I don't have the option of turning that off either.

I have tried searching online and have attempted the following:

Checked for MS Exchange, but I don't have any accounts attached to the iPad yet. Not even an email account.
Checked to disable a VPN, but that isn't enabled at all.
Reset all settings. This didn't work for this, but it did restore my ability to change the "Zoom in on faces" option on the picture frame, which before had been grayed out.
Checked to make sure restrictions weren't enabled.

Some things I haven't tried yet:

updating my iOS to 6.1.3
System restore

Do you think these things might work? I keep hearing that the upgrade is not worth it because of the bugs.

I can't seem to find any other suggestions other than a restore, which I've read doesn't work.

Thank you so much for any assistance.

Keri

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Keri - welcome to the forum! :)

Restrictions can be set on an iPad - since this device was provided by your place of employment, you may first want to check w/ the IT people @ your school - they may have decided 'how' you are allowed to use the iPad? Please post back to this thread since this question has come up before.

OP
onecrazystitch

onecrazystitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Thank you for the reply. I did bring it to the IT guy today, and this is the first time it's come up. He tried for about 30 minutes to find a reason or fix as well. He said he will keep looking, as will I. If I find something I'll be sure to post it.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Keri

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Thank you for the reply. I did bring it to the IT guy today, and this is the first time it's come up. He tried for about 30 minutes to find a reason or fix as well. He said he will keep looking, as will I. If I find something I'll be sure to post it.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Keri

Out of curiosity is there anything listed in the setting app under General > Profiles?

It sounds like a [possibly] corrupt profile was added to the device.

OP
onecrazystitch

onecrazystitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That worked! I can't believe that wasn't thought of before. I'll tell the guys at school and they're going to feel so silly that it was something so simple!

Thank you so very much for your help! I hope this helps someone else too, and if I can help someone on return I will.

Thank you again for everything.

Keri

lemmel2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of curiosity is there anything listed in the setting app under General > Profiles?

It sounds like a [possibly] corrupt profile was added to the device.

THANK YOU!!!! Just read this forum, years later, and it worked!!!!

lemmel2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That worked! I can't believe that wasn't thought of before. I'll tell the guys at school and they're going to feel so silly that it was something so simple!

Thank you so very much for your help! I hope this helps someone else too, and if I can help someone on return I will.

Thank you again for everything.

Keri

I JUST read the forum answer posted to you , years ago, and it worked again! YAY!

Most reactions

Latest posts