What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to shut down my iPad

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a serious problem. I can't able to shut down my iPad. I recently notice this problem. At first I was thinking that it may be a problem of shutdown key. So to make that sure I drain my battery completely and it turned off. Than I try to open it and amazingly it start up. But then I can't able to shut it down again. So I am into a middle of dilemma, am I doing something wrong or the button broke. But I don't understand If the button is broke than why I am able to start it up. I still have warranty but if the button is not broke and I am doing something wrong than I will really look stupid in the middle of apple customer care. So eagerly waiting for your advice.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are u using the home button on the bottom middle front face or the push button/switch on the top right edge?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you push and hold the power button you should see a pop up switch called slide to power off. Slide the switch to the right and the iPad should power off. Does this not work for you?

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As zstair asked, are you using the home button or are you 100% that you are holding down the long skinny button on the top right of the device(power) until a window drops down from the top of the screen saying "slide to turn off device"?

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I try each and every button, The skinny one (which should have to do the job), the round one and even I try the volume button. Not a single button work for me :(

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I try each and every button, The skinny one (which should have to do the job), the round one and even I try the volume button. Not a single button work for me :(

Sounds like you need to return your iPad 4 for warranty service or replacement.
Nobody here on this forum can help you with a defective hardware issue.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try connecting it to your computer and press the round button and the skinny button on the top for sometime

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, if you press the skinny button on the top right of the device for just a moment while the screen is on, will the screen go dark? If yes, then the button is working. If not, then the botton is not working.

Keep in mind that the button is more than likely controling software, so the button itself could be working while the software is somehow crossed up. It might still be a good idea to go see the people at the apple store to see if they can help you out.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess you should take it to an apple Center

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to return your iPad 4 for warranty service or replacement.
Nobody here on this forum can help you with a defective hardware issue.
That's what I am going to do now. There is no other practical options are available for me now :(

Most reactions