What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Shuts Down

patetcmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad will just shut down in the middle of web surfing. The battery is charged and I have an excellent WiFi connection so I don't understand why it does this. Any ideas or suggestions?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad is crashing because of a lack of ram. The iPad 1 has only 256mb of ram compared to the ipad2 which has 512mb and the newer iPads which have 1 GB of ram. As apps are only getting bigger with advancing technology the iPad 1 will continue to struggle more and more to keep up. Any sites you may visit through Safari which are graphic intensive will cause crashes also.

There are some steps you can take which will limit this happening as much and these steps will also free up ram.

Limit your location services to the apps you are using now.

Close apps regularly (all apps in your multi task bar are using some ram, even though they are not running and closing them completely will free up this ram)

Go to Settings - Safari and Clear your History and also Clear your Cookies and Data. Safari retains bits of info from every site you visit.....if you would like to have a look first before clearing your History etc. go to Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data - Show All Sites. As you can see there's a lot there.

After doing this, it would be a good idea to do a reset of your iPad just to allow everything to settle in nicely. Apple have now ceased updates for the iPad 1 as it is really quite old now in technology terms and although it will still continue to be a great device for certain tasks, it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad! I do hope these steps help you.

OP
P

patetcmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I did all that you suggested, including the reset but now all I get is in Chinese! How do I get back to English? I connected the IPad to my laptop and opened Itunes and did a restore but that did not help. In Itunes everything looks like it is supposed to but on the IPad it isn't! Now what?
I don't know what else to try at this point.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I did all that you suggested, including the reset but now all I get is in Chinese! How do I get back to English? I connected the IPad to my laptop and opened Itunes and did a restore but that did not help. In Itunes everything looks like it is supposed to but on the IPad it isn't! Now what?
I don't know what else to try at this point.

Well gees....that shouldn't have happened.

Go to Settings - General. In case you can't work out which one it is, General is the one with the Settings icon

Then International......on the right hand side of the page at the bottom there is a group of 4....it's the 3rd one in this group.

The page will change. Select Language which is the first one, and you will get a pop up with a list of languages, select English, then press done, top right (it's highlighted in blue). Once done it just takes a little time for your iPad to change back.

Hopefully that will get you back to English. Let us know how you go.

OP
P

patetcmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I fiddled around with it long enough that I got it back to English--don't know why it didn't work before. Now everything is back to normal. Thanks for your help.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I fiddled around with it long enough that I got it back to English--don't know why it didn't work before. Now everything is back to normal. Thanks for your help.

Well I'm glad you did get your ipad back to English and I hope that the above steps will limit your iPad crashing as much!

Thank you for getting back to us also! Enjoy!

ginsus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need my hubby ton try this since he does a TON of international scrabble and this has just started happening! I will let you all know. GREAT forum I just signed up.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Need my hubby ton try this since he does a TON of international scrabble and this has just started happening! I will let you all know. GREAT forum I just signed up.

Hi Ginsus - welcome to the forum! :) Now, you just replied to nearly a 2-year old thread on the iPad 1 (which came out in early 2010) - you might want to visit the New Members Introduction forum and say hello to us there - just a suggestion.

Also, if your husband is having an issue w/ his iPad, then I would encourage you or him to start a new thread in an appropriate forum - he will likely receive much more attention - good luck! Dave

ginsus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much. He did delete his history. This is a scrabble app that our daughter downloaded for him. I worked in IT for 17 years and about 25 for his office. He is worse than the worst client I ever had. Gives 1/5 of the information to diagnose a problem. Problem was triggered by 2 ads that are pop ups. The ads no longer pop up and now the problem has gone away.
He would prefer that I handle ALL of his computer problems or else he just grins and bears it. Too busy being a dentist!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks so much. He did delete his history. This is a scrabble app that our daughter downloaded for him. I worked in IT for 17 years and about 25 for his office. He is worse than the worst client I ever had. Gives 1/5 of the information to diagnose a problem. Problem was triggered by 2 ads that are pop ups. The ads no longer pop up and now the problem has gone away.
He would prefer that I handle ALL of his computer problems or else he just grins and bears it. Too busy being a dentist!

Hi again - well, took nearly 2 weeks for you to respond to my post and still in an old thread; plus, you've provided no new information - I'm a retired academic radiologist, so know what busy can be - ;)

I would still suggest that you start a new thread in the appropriate forum; provide information on his iPad model and the iOS version installed; also which app is under discussion and any other information that might help - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi again - well, took nearly 2 weeks for you to respond to my post and still in an old thread; plus, you've provided no new information - I'm a retired academic radiologist, so know what busy can be - ;)

I would still suggest that you start a new thread in the appropriate forum; provide information on his iPad model and the iOS version installed; also which app is under discussion and any other information that might help - Dave :)
She has started her own thread, earlier today. http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/new-member-ginsus.127777/
But has provided no new information there.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think she has found the solution by herself. 2 ads were causing the problem, as I understand the post above.

ginsus

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I will have to get that information first. I have no idea!!! I didn't even see your reply to me or else I just missed it. I am usually right on the money. Dragging any information out of him is difficult and our daughter just got married. Harried woman am I. At least I posted as a new member yesterday. This is the first time that I have posted on a forum except for something to do with the Acura cars that we own and a dog owner's forum. Thanks for getting after me. I truly missed you post, never came to my email.

Most reactions