What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unable to remove a stored password

mgjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
upgraded to ios7 on ipad2. Checked recently the stored userids and passwords and saw a long list. No idea how this came about. I removed all of them but there is one that just comes back. I do not recognise the origine. website is https:// , Moderator edit: unknown name deleted (the 'at' actually is @ otherwise I could not post this, password is tmobile
Unable to delete this one. It disappears on delete but when I look again under saved passwords, it has come back again.

Powered down and up, still the same?

any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is Keychain turne don in the iCloud settings? It might be getting copied back from another device/computer, or just iCloud in general.

OP
M

mgjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Keychain turne don in the iCloud settings? It might be getting copied back from another device/computer, or just iCloud in general.

no, keychain switched off and never used. I switched off iCloud and even went to airplane mode but no success. The userID and password keep coming back after deleting.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. No idea what is going on, so a couple of guess/suggestions you can try, in case you didn't think of them yourself.

1) After you remove the password, turn off Names and Passwords. Reboot the device. Then see what happens. If you want to continue using Names and Passwords turn it back on afterwards.

2) Activate Keychain under the iCloud settings. (be sure to write down any passcodes you create). If the entry is still there, try deleting it again and see what happens. If it goes away, and you don't want to use Keychain, turn Keychain off again.

3) Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reseat All Settings. This is the last resort before actually reseting your device to factory and starting over. It won't delete any of your content, apps, or account settings, but it will default most other settings; so you'll end up re-tweaking things to work the way you want.

You haven't said you are jailbroken, and from your description it seems unlikely that you are. But if you are, disregard everything I've said and re-direct your question to the hacking area of the forum. The rules change when jailbreak tweaks are involved.

If you don't know what jailbreaking is, ignore this last. You can't do it by accident.

OP
M

mgjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Tried all your suggestions, even the full reset (keeping data). Tweaked all the settings back, could only log on to my modem after power down power up but now all working again. However, the damn password is still there. No idea if it does bad things to me. I am reaching the point of giving up.
And I had no idea what jailbreak meant so I googled. I fear I am miles away from that expertise. I stick to surfing and mailing and simple music, photos etc.
Is there any method to find out if this password (which looks like an email address) is harmful?
Greetings from NL.
Hans

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I'm out of ideas.

From your descriptions it sounds like it's a user name (email address) and password for logging into the T-Mobile site in the Netherlands. If all it shows is "https://" for the website, then it's missing that information.

Actually, you should ask a moderator to remove the username and password from you post, if you can't do it yourself. While it may not be your account, it is probably someone else's.

If you purchased AppleCare with your iPad you may still have free technical support. If not, it's probably not worth spending money to solve this, and a clean restore also seems overkill for a problem that is unlikely to affect your ability to use the iPad.

Out of curiosity, did you buy the iPad second hand? I'm wondering if it's from a previous owner and the iPad didn't get restored properly.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi mgjb, as rightly indicated by twerppoet above, and as that name is not known to you, I have deleted it from your opening post. Best not to have that hanging around....
Regards, Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

OP
M

mgjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad new in an applecentre. Use it daily to check mail etc. My wife has one too but is one update on IOS behind, now on 6.1.3 and I am reluctant to upgrade to IOS 7.1.1 since it now all works fine... I find it also better not to be able to see the stored passwords, although we keep those to the minimum and never for important stuff like banks etc. I realise that an expert would probably find them anyhow. Payments never made via iPad, always via PC, properly protected.

I also have never had any business with Tmobile. I do use my iPad to log on to the 'wifispots' of Ziggo in NL, this is a big cable provider and you can log on to any ziggo modem in the country. And I log on at the homes of my children via their provider.

Thank you for your help, I will leave it at this. And assuming you are from Oz, congrats on the hockey finals yesterday! Best team won.

Hans

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

It sounds like you understand Safari's password storage feature and are using it in a responsible way. Because there is no separate password for the keychain/name&password storage, it's only as safe as your iPad's unlock passcode or password. Anyone who can unlock your iPad has access to those passwords.

For me, a single user who rarely to never shares his iPad, and uses a passcode lock, it is not much of an issue; but like you I still don't keep important or financial passwords there. I reserver those for 1Password. While it's more awkward to use, it's behind yet another password, a good one.

Good luck.

Most reactions