What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to multitask/iOS 11 Ipad Pro

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tested multitasking following this video but when I drag any 2nd app from the dock it will open in full screen mode, not as a 2nd window. I checked settings and multitasking is enabled. I'm lost.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which app did you try?
The Settings app opens fullscreen, but if you try Photos, or the Calendar, e.g., it should work the way Apple shows it in the video.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried it with many apps, like Gmail, iBooks, Safari, etc, and none open in a 2nd window, all go full screen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What iPad do you have? Not all models support all multitasking features. If I remember right, some of the older models will only do slide-over.

Also, not all apps support multitasking. I suggest playing with Safari and Notes together as your primary test. That avoids the question of whether a thrid party app has been updated or not.

Addendum:

Just checked, and according to the User Guide, the models that support split view are:

• iPad Pro, all models
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad Air and later
  • iPad mini 2 and later
Only the Pro models support using slide over at the same time as split view.

I don’t see any mention of models that can only use slide over, so I was probably wrong about that.

Last edited:
OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With my testing, I found there are many apps which will not support a split view on iPad Pro, even with the latest iOS 11.0.3
And these apps are;
1. Linkedin
2. Gmail
3. Google maps
4.Xender
5. Lightroom (adobe)
6. Flickr
7. Snapseed
8. INKredible
9. Planner Pro
10.Endnote
11. MyScript Memo

There are couple of more in the set of my total installed apps. Which is about 1/3 of my total apps. The apps from Apple are completely compatible to split view multitasking, Microsoft apps such as Word, Excel or OneNote and Skype also are completely compatible. In case of google there are some apps, which are compatible such as google keep, drive, haven’t checked hangout though. The incompatible apps like to be opened in full screen and don’t share screen if they are opened over any compatible app. However when the reverse is the condition, i.e., the incompatible app is already opened on full screen and a compatible app is tried to open for sharing the screen for split view, it will force it to float and later will not let it disappear by swipe.

Best

Atindra

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With my testing, I found there are many apps which will not support a split view on iPad Pro, even with the latest iOS 11.0.3
And these apps are;
1. Linkedin
2. Gmail
3. Google maps
4.Xender
5. Lightroom (adobe)
6. Flickr
7. Snapseed
8. INKredible
9. Planner Pro
10.Endnote
11. MyScript Memo

There are couple of more in the set of my total installed apps. Which is about 1/3 of my total apps. The apps from Apple are completely compatible to split view multitasking, Microsoft apps such as Word, Excel or OneNote and Skype also are completely compatible. In case of google there are some apps, which are compatible such as google keep, drive, haven’t checked hangout though. The incompatible apps like to be opened in full screen and don’t share screen if they are opened over any compatible app. However when the reverse is the condition, i.e., the incompatible app is already opened on full screen and a compatible app is tried to open for sharing the screen for split view, it will force it to float and later will not let it disappear by swipe.

Best

Atindra
The developers of those apps will have to update their apps to make them compatible with split view. Have you tried contacting them to see if they have any such plans?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Edited My iPad Pro is the latest model and should support all latest iOS features, including multitasking.

You are right. It should.

While it should have been on by default, make sure that multitasking it turned on in Settings > General > Multitasking & Dock.

C87F3BD0-CC43-46FB-AB2C-3B6FFDAC078B.jpeg

Since you’ve watched the video, you probably know what to expect, but I’ll go over it briefly, just in case.

When you slide a multitasking app from the dock over the top of another multitasking app it should turn into a tall retangle with rounded corners. Dropping it left or right of the center will open the new app in slide over. If it does not become a retangle (stays an icon) then it won’t open in a multitask view. Instead, it will replace the active app.

F70363DB-D195-43C9-8CDB-7FA168E59856.png

If you move the app all the way to the right or left edge, the main app will sqeeze over to make room for the new app. If you drop it in the opened space, the app opens in split view.

5A7A9792-9794-4853-9F49-4B39DB45F32B.png

If you already have two apps in split view, draging the app to the divider between the apps already open will open the new app in slide over. If you drop the new app on top of an existing app, it will replace it. There is a change in the shape of the app as it moves to the left and right of view divider. It goes from a tall rounded retangle (slide over) to a squarer, less round cornerd shape (replace). This lets you know if the app will open in slide over or replace one of the apps. The below shows how the new app looks when it will open in slide over view.

62169AE7-DC23-4591-9E73-E08F1C7D45EE.jpeg

And how it looks when it will replace the app. Note that if you are dropping on an app that is in ⅓ view, the change is subtle. The corners become a bit sqarer. The change is more obvious if you drop it on a ½ or ⅔ view. Of course the app about to be replaces also gets darker, which is a let less subtle.

347D496B-ABAE-410D-8F48-0C724D5BD48F.jpeg

Last edited:

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The developers of those apps will have to update their apps to make them compatible with split view. Have you tried contacting them to see if they have any such plans?
Yes I am planning to contact them one by one. I am sure slowly all will update.

Atindra

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet has explained nicely, I would just suggest to do some experimenting with apps for split view and drag and drop. These two features, “drag and drop” and “split view” are fantastic and adds a great experience in productivity of iPad Pro. I am loving it.

Atindra

Most reactions

Latest posts