What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to get Remote APP Working

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it, I have just done a nice new clean install and guess what, Remote still fails to work.

So thats 2 different desktop PC's an Brand new Sony Laptop and a Toshiba Netbook, an iPad, iPhone 4s and iPod touch and remote fails to work properly with any of them.

I still suspect its a bug in the Remote App or the later versions of iTunes. Anyone know where I can download an older version of iTunes to test that. I know I had it working about 18 months ago when I had an iPhone3 so what version of iTunes was active about 18 months ago.

I know I am not alone with this reading some of the many iPad/Phone help forums out there. It is quite a common issue that Apple have failed to address for some reason. Perhaps it will work when the new iPad3 and iPhone5 comes out later this year

Interesting thing to note is that all my other apps that use the network, Drop Box etc all work faultlessly so I know its not a network issue either.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to report this App failure to Apple, although I am sure they already know about it.

Paul

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just posting a quick up-date to this problem

I have now found that if i connect my PC to my route using a wireless option my iPad will appear in iTunes and I can then odd the 4 digit code.

If I connect my PC to the router by a wired connector my iPad dosen't show in iTunes when the remote app is activated and there is no option shown for ebtering the 4 digit code.

Unfortunatly this is still not a fix as now the iPad tries to find my music but reprts nothing found.

So near yet so far away.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this.

Paul

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paul80 said:
Hi Guys

Just posting a quick up-date to this problem

I have now found that if i connect my PC to my route using a wireless option my iPad will appear in iTunes and I can then odd the 4 digit code.

If I connect my PC to the router by a wired connector my iPad dosen't show in iTunes when the remote app is activated and there is no option shown for ebtering the 4 digit code.

Unfortunatly this is still not a fix as now the iPad tries to find my music but reprts nothing found.

So near yet so far away.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this.

Paul

Out curiosity, if you pair them using home sharing, does it work? Also, although I strongly recommend only trying this temporarily, completely turn off your firewall and see if it helps. If it does, you may need to reset the firewall to defaults and re-allow everything when it prompts you to the next time you start iTunes.

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to my confusion, using the same settings as I am using for my iPad, I have just tried the repote app on my iPad Touch again and this time it worked first time. but still not working on my iPad which is now failing to find any Library.

and interestinly as pointed out above, I can only get a connection if I coonect my PC to the network wirelessly if I connect with a wired connection neither will connect. My Router is supplied by talk-talk and I have checked the settings and there is no mention of an inbuilt firewall so don't think its that.

Turning the PC's Firewall off makes no difference.

Paul

J

joedalton101

It wasn't working for me either with my laptop on win7 and iphone 4. I made two changes and then it worked so not sure which made the difference:

Turned off windows firewall (I have no other antivirus or firewall programs)
Deauthorised all devices from my Apple ID account and then added my laptop back again. I originally had 2 devices on the account and perhaps this was causing problems

Joe

Most reactions

Latest posts