What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to download apps or update apps

Snowdropbooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a circular loop, I try to update apps already purchased and am directed to the iTunes store to check downloads, there are none showing just a greyed out screen with iTunes terms and conditions link in the middle of the page, nothing else. The download shape doesn't respond at all. If I try to buy an app it tries to download then says vie already purchased it and to go to iTunes store, same thing happens. I've checked all settings for app store, checked account, signed out then in again, gone onto iTunes store multiple times to find a way out of this issue. Can anyone help please or is this the end of my iPad? It is 13 months old, has it tired of life?

Reaction score
Are the apps you are trying to update/download larger than 20MB and are you using 3G? Apple imposed restrictions, which prevent you from downloading apps larger then 20MB over 3G.

When it says, can't download, check iTunes. It probably said Check iTunes on your desktop.

So either, you can connect your iPad to wifi and than redownload the apps, or go to your desktop, download the apps from there, than sync to the iPad.

There is a chance I may have misinterpreted the error though.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a circular loop, I try to update apps already purchased and am directed to the iTunes store to check downloads, there are none showing just a greyed out screen with iTunes terms and conditions link in the middle of the page, nothing else. The download shape doesn't respond at all. If I try to buy an app it tries to download then says vie already purchased it and to go to iTunes store, same thing happens. I've checked all settings for app store, checked account, signed out then in again, gone onto iTunes store multiple times to find a way out of this issue. Can anyone help please or is this the end of my iPad? It is 13 months old, has it tired of life?

Two questions. Are you trying to update the apps directly on your iPad or via your PC?

If you're trying to do this directly from your iPad, I'm guessing you're in the iPad's native App Store app and it's showing that some of your apps have an update waiting. That indication is a little 'call out' that shows on the App Store icon or on the bottom right hand side of the App Store screen, where it says updates?

When you click on that 'Update' icon at the bottom right hand corner of the App Store screen, can you see the apps there that say there are updates waiting for them? Do you try to update them one at a time, or all at once?

Tim

supermarshbm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are the apps you are trying to update/download larger than 20MB and are you using 3G? Apple imposed restrictions, which prevent you from downloading apps larger then 20MB over 3G.

When it says, can't download, check iTunes. It probably said Check iTunes on your desktop.

So either, you can connect your iPad to wifi and than redownload the apps, or go to your desktop, download the apps from there, than sync to the iPad.

There is a chance I may have misinterpreted the error though.

Well how do you download on the desktop so you can than sync?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have access to my computer, so I'm not positive how it looks. Open iTunes, and in the upper left area, it should say purchased, or downloads. There may be a link right to the app store. Sorry I can't remember very well, as I haven't done it that way.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
supermarshbm said:
Well how do you download on the desktop so you can than sync?

On iTunes

On the right hand side where it says apps, click on that and it will show all your apps. Down on the bottom of the right hand side click on the update/ number and it will take you to the update site in iTunes store and update individually or all apps

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Are you holding your computer screen upside down? ;) I have only ever seen the iTunes library&device list on the left side.

Other than that, is that the way to update apps on a computer.

Always the comic. No, I'm talking about when you are already in the apps page, the update button is on the left hand side. Well, it was there last week, but what with my daughter on there, you never know. She was playing a song the other night and for some reason it started looping, at a high volume, over and over again, couldn't stop it, I pressed any and all buttons until in desperation covered it with duvet, pillow etc... Hilarious to watch no doubt, it overheated and switched off! I left it off overnight and it came back on as if nothing had happened. I deleted the song straight away and down loaded it again.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Most reactions

Latest posts