What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to delete photos from iCloud

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I just logged in my iCloud account, went to iCloud Photos, and after selecting the photos I want to delete the Delete button is grayed out so I'm unable to delete them. Thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi all, I just logged in my iCloud account, went to iCloud Photos, and after selecting the photos I want to delete the Delete button is grayed out so I'm unable to delete them. Thanks for your help.

Let's make sure I understand what you were trying to do.

You went to iCloud.com in a desktop/laptop web browser,
signed into your account,
went to iCloud Photos,
selcted several photos by left clicking and holding the Control key,
but the trashcan icon was grayed out so you couldn't click on it.

If not, then please describe what you were doing in more detail, so I can try and duplicate it.

Hold in mind that going to iCloud.com in Safair (or other iPad web browsers) does not work well. You should use the Photos app to edit or delete photos when using the iPad.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's make sure I understand what you were trying to do.

You went to iCloud.com in a desktop/laptop web browser,
signed into your account,
went to iCloud Photos,
selcted several photos by left clicking and holding the Control key,
but the trashcan icon was grayed out so you couldn't click on it.
That's exactly what I did, I signed into iCloud with the Firefox browser in my Windows PC, went to iCloud Photos, selected several photos but the Delete Button (trashcan icon) was grayed out, so I am unable to delete the photos. Weird but true.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok.

I could not duplicate your problem, and can't think of any obvious setting that would cause the problem.

I used Chrome instead of FireFox. While I doubt it will make a difference, you could try a different browser.

Also, did you just turn on iCloud Photos, or has it had time to complete all uploads and synces between your devices? That might make a difference.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I realized that the Ipad's factory defaults where set to sync all my data to iCloud I disabled iCloud in my Ipad's Settings. Could this be the reason why I'm not allowed to delete my photos from iCloud? I see no reason why I'm denied the right to delete my iCloud files even if I choose to not have my Ipad sync with iCloud.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should not make a difference. iCloud's contents should not be affected by removing it from a device.
I just logged in with Chrome to see if Firefox was the culprit, but no luck, same issue. I forgot to mention that I always see the following message in yellow with an exclamation mark:
"iCloud Photo Library has been disabled. You have 25 days remaining to make sure you have a complete copy of your photos and videos. Learn More."

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that's the answer then.

It hadn't occured to me that turning off iCloud Library would disable it. Of course I'd have to disable it for 4 devices before it would be completely disabled, so I'd be unlikely to notice by accident.

So, if you want to keep some of those pictures you'll either need to make copies, or re-enable iCloud Library. Otherwise, leave it alone and eventually the photos will go away on their own. I don't know if the library will keep counting against your iCloud Storage after it's been disabled. You should be able to check under the iCloud settings.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There shouldn’t be a problem with deleting images synced by iCloud only.

Is it possible that you added some of the photos via iTunes? That would explain the greyed out Delete button.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There shouldn’t be a problem with deleting images synced by iCloud only.

Is it possible that you added some of the photos via iTunes? That would explain the greyed out Delete button.
No, never used iTunes, the Ipad uploaded the photos to iCloud via Wifi, and as I said after realizing I disabled iCoud from the Ipad's Settings.

Most reactions