What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK - what 3G network is best value?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using T-Mobile on pay as you go and it's £20 for 6 months unlimited (fair usage 1GB) and it works brilliantly. I did a speed test and I am getting about 2.61 Mbps which more than meets my needs.

I chose T-Mobile because they do drop down to GPRS/EDGE when there is no 3G which is really useful when visit my parents.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

lesleyanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed my phone contract recently to 3 as they offered best deal for Iphone 4 for £35 monthly I get "all you can eat" data checked it out, there is no limit, and you can teether. I didn't know what this was originally and thought my useage would be small, but recently we went away for the week-end and the hotel charged for wifi so I thought, give it a go, and hey no problems my computer used my 3G from my phone and my hubby was very happy watching his footy on skyplayer

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed my phone contract recently to 3 as they offered best deal for Iphone 4 for £35 monthly I get "all you can eat" data checked it out, there is no limit, and you can teether. I didn't know what this was originally and thought my useage would be small, but recently we went away for the week-end and the hotel charged for wifi so I thought, give it a go, and hey no problems my computer used my 3G from my phone and my hubby was very happy watching his footy on skyplayer

Yes - the '3' network is great in the UK (roaming charges though - don't even go there!). It's the total 3G (HSDPA) coverage - other networks may seem to have great coverage but often it's their 'legacy' 2G networks and, trust me, surfing on EDGE or GPRS is no fun and you can forget about watching any streaming content. OK - I'm biased - I live in a remote area of Scotland but the gods of communication smiled on me and they put a '3' basestation within sight of my house and - yes - those 'all-you-can-eat' contracts are great!! It just annoys me that Apple limits 3G downloads to 20 MB - get with the 21st century Apple....

Tim

wright8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using a 3 sim in my iPad 2 but I seem to be the only person who can't get a decent speed using 3. seems to always be below 500kbs.

anyone else having problems with the 3G iPad. maybe just the area but checked on the coverage map and should be better.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
wright8 said:
I was using a 3 sim in my iPad 2 but I seem to be the only person who can't get a decent speed using 3. seems to always be below 500kbs.

anyone else having problems with the 3G iPad. maybe just the area but checked on the coverage map and should be better.

It's 3G, so the speed isn't great, no matter how good the signal.

Anyway, here is a comparison:

Attachments

• image-1209184077.png
    image-1209184077.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 273

wright8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
It's 3G, so the speed isn't great, no matter how good the signal.

Anyway, here is a comparison:

mayb I'm comparing it to my iPhone 4. everything is so quick on it but with small pages to load it's a big difference to the iPad. I'm using t mobile now and seem to get 1mb speed but still see large drops almost to nothing and then normal again. not sure why not maybe something else.

thanx for pic. I seem to check mine too much instead of just using it. so used to wifi where its super fast.

plymouthred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
I am using T-Mobile on pay as you go and it's £20 for 6 months unlimited (fair usage 1GB) and it works brilliantly. I did a speed test and I am getting about 2.61 Mbps which more than meets my needs.

I chose T-Mobile because they do drop down to GPRS/EDGE when there is no 3G which is really useful when visit my parents.

£20.00 for 6 months? Can't see this deal anywhere?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
plymouthred said:

Just pick up a free sim card, either a micro or regular (and trim), put in a mobile phone, top up with £20 then text 6MONTHWEB booster to 441 then once you get the confirmation text put the sim in your iPad.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=BOOSTERS

6 month Internet booster £20 6 months internet access Text 6MONTHWEB to 441

I have been using mine since march and it's brilliant

Last edited:

Avionyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
plymouthred said:

Just pick up a free sim card, either a micro or regular (and trim), put in a mobile phone, top up with £20 then text 6MONTHWEB booster to 441 then once you get the confirmation text put the sim in your iPad.

T-Mobile - Help & Support

If that works thats a pretty hot tip and I'll be going down my local tMobile shop tomorrow!

Kieranbowley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.XBLN.net
I get this speed in my house in London with 3. In and around London I regularly get 2mb+.

My O2 on my phone is rubbish compared to 3.

£5.11 a month sim only 2gig per month, great deal!

Attachments

• image-1045741110.png
    image-1045741110.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 246

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did you get the £5.11 deal I haven't seen that anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a normal sim that you cut down or does it come as a micro sim? I'm paying £10 for 1GIG on 3 PAYG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Avionyx said:
If that works thats a pretty hot tip and I'll be going down my local tMobile shop tomorrow!

It works just great. Below are a few tests

Attachments

• image-1821465604.png
    image-1821465604.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 245

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=BOOSTERS

The tmobile booster page doesn't mention this deal anywhere?!

Most reactions

Latest posts