What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uk /usa ipad

king6897

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have just called into an apple store in Birmingham uk and had a play with the ipad for the first time and I have fallen in love with it.

However we are off to America next week and just wanted to know if I were to buy one over there would it work over in here in the uk just the same as a uk bought one would?

I am interested in the 32g 3g model?

Also my wife is a big book reader how many books are on the ibook app and are there current best seller type books on there?

Sorry if this has been all asked before

Regards
Paul

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other than needing a sim card replacement, it should work just fine. The supply is very limited and you may have a bother trying to find one like you want.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The books selection on iBooks is still new and growing, so you won't find everything. However you will find most of the best sellers. I found the latest Charlaine Harris book there for pre order before it was on Kindle. What you don't find on iBooks, you can get from Amazon, using the Kindle app for iPad, which is free. Or from Barnes & Noble, using their app which is also free. However, as I'm in the US, I am not sure about the options available being the same for you!

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may need to get a UK USB/wall plug as they are different in the UK for charging. I don't know how available ebooks are in the UK. In Canada, we can still get only Gutenberg Project classics that are out of copywrite. However we can get current books from Amazon using the Kindle app that is free here in Canada. As has been pointed out above, there are options. I do prefer the page turning iBook format of books and am waiting somewhat impatiently while reading the free downloads from Amazon to fill in the time.

erpetao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use the uk plug in the USA with just an adaptor? I know there is different voltage, but on the plug it says input 100-240V so in theory it should work, shouldn't it?

sbarnes8478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use the uk plug in the USA with just an adaptor? I know there is different voltage, but on the plug it says input 100-240V so in theory it should work, shouldn't it?

Correct. Most electronic stores, and airport shops, sell travel adapter kits.

Khannr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no difficulty buying an iPad at a UK airport. Just walked in and they had one. I think that may be the best place to buy it. Oh, and it was abuot £15 cheaper for the 32Gb wi-fi version.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There would be no problem , i got my iPad from the US it worked perfectly fine. iBook was not immediately available but after two weeks. We were finally able to download it. While It was not available I was using goodreader for the ebooks that I have.

Most reactions

Latest posts