What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two UI issues I don't understand (mute, bright)

Markdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a recent iPad owner, I've only run iOS 4.2.

I know the slider switch is supposed to be a mute, and indeed it does paint a pretty icon that seems to indicate no volume. However, it doesn't actually do anything. Should it?

I can't figure out what auto-brightness actually does. I see an extremely slight change when I toggle it on and off, but the manual setting is still active and actually changes the brightness no matter the auto setting. Does auto brightness do anything?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The mute switch only mutes the system sounds and alarms. Sounds from within apps is unaffected. The purpose of this switch is to prevent unwanted noises if you are in a meeting, at a theater, or trying to sneak out of the house.

When auto-brightness is on the iPad lets you adjust the brightness average, more or less. It won't let you go very far outside what the iPad sensor thinks is ideal. Of course the sensor isn't perfect and different people have their own idea of ideal brightness in any situation. That's why you can turn it off and go manual.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a recent iPad owner, I've only run iOS 4.2.

I know the slider switch is supposed to be a mute, and indeed it does paint a pretty icon that seems to indicate no volume. However, it doesn't actually do anything. Should it?

I can't figure out what auto-brightness actually does. I see an extremely slight change when I toggle it on and off, but the manual setting is still active and actually changes the brightness no matter the auto setting. Does auto brightness do anything?

Thanks.

Try using the autobrightness in different lighting conditions - you should notice that if you are in a very dim area, it will not be as bright, and if you go outside, it will brighten considerably to allow you to see.

Most reactions