What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 Beta Reveals the iPad's Screen Orientation Lock Is Now a Mute Switch

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

CNET has been rooting around in the newly released iOS 4.2 beta and has discovered that the screen orientation lock slider on the right side of the iPad is now a mute button. This would put the iPad in line with all versions of the iPhone. CNET also gives us a misty-eyed look back at the brief history of the screen orientation lock slider's short life. It started out as a volume toggle, then became the screen orientation lock slider that we know and love (or pretty much ignore, in my case!) today, before possibly going on to new heights as a mute button, if the iOS 4.2 beta is anything to go by. However, as CNET points out, it's highly possible that not all the changes made in this first beta will actually be in the final release. CNET also reveals that in the beta, users now have to pull up the new multitasking bar, and swipe left in order to access the screen orientation lock. And it seems that the beta iOS 4.2 also features an iBooks-style brightness slider, which can be used without having to exit the app you're currently using.

Source: CNET

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not to happy about this. I use that switch numberous times throughout the day. It's second nature and now they want to change it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

CNET has been rooting around in the newly released iOS 4.2 beta and has discovered that the screen orientation lock slider on the right side of the iPad is now a mute button. This would put the iPad in line with all versions of the iPhone. CNET also gives us a misty-eyed look back at the brief history of the screen orientation lock slider's short life. It started out as a volume toggle, then became the screen orientation lock slider that we know and love (or pretty much ignore, in my case!) today, before possibly going on to new heights as a mute button, if the iOS 4.2 beta is anything to go by. However, as CNET points out, it's highly possible that not all the changes made in this first beta will actually be in the final release. CNET also reveals that in the beta, users now have to pull up the new multitasking bar, and swipe left in order to access the screen orientation lock. And it seems that the beta iOS 4.2 also features an iBooks-style brightness slider, which can be used without having to exit the app you're currently using.

Source: CNET

Lol, apple figuring out more ways to make it unnecessary to jailbreak. Give us file access and I won't jailbreak!!!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Muting would be better as a four finger screen tap. That switch is awkward with a cover on.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or give us the option to pick what we want to use the switch for for like with double-tapping the Home button.

Oops, sorry! Too many handgun forums!

I meant "double clicking" the Home button

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They had better not change that switch, I use it all the time. Coming from an iPhone that switch is great. I can't believe they would remove it without also giving us an option of what it does.

Michael

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They had better not change that switch, I use it all the time. Coming from an iPhone that switch is great. I can't believe they would remove it without also giving us an option of what it does.

Michael
+1!

Most reactions

Latest posts