What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning on find my ipad

snakebitex10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I recently purchased an ipad from fleabay
The ipad had charging problems and came To me completely dead
I have repaired the problem and charged the unit which has previous owners icloud I'd logged in.
I have made contact with the previous owner and he can't fid the device in his icloud account and therefore cannot remove it.
He has asked me to turn on find my ipad so he can remove the device.
Now here's the problem.
When I go to settings and select icloud I get a window on the right with the previous owners email address and below that it requires a password. There is no option to turn on find my ipad.
Thanking you all in advance for any advice.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I recently purchased an ipad from fleabay The ipad had charging problems and came To me completely dead I have repaired the problem and charged the unit which has previous owners icloud I'd logged in. I have made contact with the previous owner and he can't fid the device in his icloud account and therefore cannot remove it. He has asked me to turn on find my ipad so he can remove the device. Now here's the problem. When I go to settings and select icloud I get a window on the right with the previous owners email address and below that it requires a password. There is no option to turn on find my ipad. Thanking you all in advance for any advice.
the last thing you want to do is turn on find my iPad, this will brick the iPad, making it impossible for you to restore it.
If find my iPhone on the iPad is actually turned off at this time, you won't need a password to erase the device.

To check this out, go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. If you can erase the iPad, you're home free. If it asks for a password when you try to erase the iPad, find my iPhone is turned on. If it's turned on, he should be able to see the iPad when he logs into find my iPhone on another iOS device or his computer.

Try to erase the iPad and let us know if you're successful.

OP
snakebitex10

snakebitex10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57
That worked for me. Just needed someone to say its ok to do that and not get such in an activation lock cycle.
Thanks again

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57 That worked for me. Just needed someone to say its ok to do that and not get such in an activation lock cycle. Thanks again
Thanks for letting us know that the solution worked, it may help the next person in your situation.

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the last thing you want to do is turn on find my iPad, this will brick the iPad, making it impossible for you to restore it. If find my iPhone on the iPad is actually turned off at this time, you won't need a password to erase the device. To check this out, go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. If you can erase the iPad, you're home free. If it asks for a password when you try to erase the iPad, find my iPhone is turned on. If it's turned on, he should be able to see the iPad when he logs into find my iPhone on another iOS device or his computer. Try to erase the iPad and let us know if you're successful.
I was reading this out of interest could you tell me please what does brick the iPad mean And should I have find my iPad turned on or off.
Many thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading this out of interest could you tell me please what does brick the iPad mean And should I have find my iPad turned on or off. Many thanks
A bricked iPad cannot be activated and is about as useful as a brick, hence the name. It is always a good idea to have find my iPad turned on. This enables you to track your iPads position if it's ever lost or stolen. One of the security features of iOS 7 is that a thief cannot turn off find my iPad or erase an iPad without entering the Apple ID and password of the original owner. This makes the device useless to the thief. Here's some info about find my iPhone/iPad. http://www.apple.com/ca/support/icloud/find-my-device/

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A bricked iPad cannot be activated and is about as useful as a brick, hence the name. It is always a good idea to have find my iPad turned on. This enables you to track your iPads position if it's ever lost or stolen. One of the security features of iOS 7 is that a thief cannot turn off find my iPad or erase an iPad without entering the Apple ID and password of the original owner. This makes the device useless to the thief. Here's some info about find my iPhone/iPad. http://www.apple.com/ca/support/icloud/find-my-device/
thank u again for a prompt answer what would we do without you.

Most reactions

Latest posts