What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn off or merely sleep?

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which is best?
Easier to use sleep overnight and think no need to turn off completely. But for extending battery life is it preferable to turn off at night , as opposed to just using sleep mode? I got into habit of turning right off which takes longer both ends...but no think I should use sleep ongoing. Then only use right off feature to reset if something sticks.
Thanks
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here. I invested in some extra iPad chargers and have them 'scattered around' - with one by the side of my bed. The neat thing about putting the iPad to sleep rather than switching off is that, if you've set it to check for email every few minutes/hours it automatically and briefly wakes up and checks for and downloads the email and plays its 'mail waiting' notification sound - freaky at night, but you can turn that off with the mute switch. I'm one of those guys that occasionally (OK - very occasionally) has a good idea and I need to note it down quickly. Power the iPad up and it's instantly on - note it down, power it down and it's instantly off.

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked last night and battery didn't drop a per cent extra from night to morning so seems to work as a good option over full turn off.
S

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just put it to sleep, unless you plan to leave it unused and unplugged in for more than a few days. That said, it's a good idea to shut it off every once in a while. Just like any computer it occasionally needs a restart to clean up memory and prevent crashes or other odd behavior. Once a week is usually enough.

Favleey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all! I just bought my ipad like 3 days ago - my first Apple device :)) and was wondering about the same thing when I was told that Apple products are not meant to be turned off each time.

I checked last night and battery didn't drop a per cent extra from night to morning so seems to work as a good option over full turn off.
S

And my friend told me that he used to turn his ipod touch off, and when he did, it took 2-3% of the battery life to boot it again.

After reading these posts I decided to let it sleep tonight and check for myself but I'm inclined to believe these opinions :)

Sandra

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only time my iPads have been shut down was for iOS upgrades. Otherwise they were left to fend for themselves in the land of Nod.
Whatever they consume in that state is minuscule and tbh I never give it a thought.

Most reactions