What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to run battery down

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone could write a whole book on the psychology of the battery percentage meter. It is funny how fast the battery seems to drain when it is inconvenient but when you want it to go down it seems to last forever.

So here I am with brightness at 100 percent, all services enabled, streaming HD video with a battery that is hanging on for dear life.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too funny. Battery-induced trauma.

OP
B

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how low do most of you drain it? I shoot for about 5 percent.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just use mine for real work. That will drain it for sure.

OP
B

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I just use mine for real work. That will drain it for sure.

I do too but it rarely falls below 35 percent and I tend to keep it on the charger when not in use so it will be ready for after hour usage. Today I am on the notebook so I thought I'd take opportunity to drain it.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, when mine arrived on Tuesday, I thought I'd run it down and then charge right back up. Someone said on here that the battery would heat up and if you run it down, it wouldn't heat up as much. Not sure if that's right but seeing as I do this once a month, I didn't think it would hurt to do so. I must say the battery isn't as hot as originally but I don't play games so I suppose I'll never know.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

OP
B

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Well, when mine arrived on Tuesday, I thought I'd run it down and then charge right back up. Someone said on here that the battery would heat up and if you run it down, it wouldn't heat up as much. Not sure if that's right but seeing as I do this once a month, I didn't think it would hurt to do so. I must say the battery isn't as hot as originally but I don't play games so I suppose I'll never know.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

I don't see how running it down would change the power consumption in use. I do recall reading that if you routinely charge before 40 percent there is less heat during charging.

I never did the monthly thing unless it just happened. I did it about once every three months.

OP
B

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patrizia_NC said:
You don't need to let it run down. These are not old school Ni Cad

While true from what I read from the experts here the is still some benefit. I addition to battery life the ios is more efficient at reporting the actual battery percentage if it is ran down from time to time.

Most reactions

Latest posts