What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with iTunes "Add Folder to Library" for iBooks (PDFs)

mjgillen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All, anyone had luck adding a Folder to iTunes for iBooks? I have a folder, "My eBooks", that contains PDFs and I have used the iTunes option File->Add Folder to Library (while I have iBooks selected on left pane) and nothing happens. I can add files individually however I do not see any result when I add a Folder. I have restarted iTunes to see if it would pick it up but no luck. I noticed that when I moved the folder, iTunes complained that it had moved so it knew something about it...

Running iTunes 9.2 on Win7.

Love my iPad!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Not sure what your trouble is.... when you check the "recently added" playlist, are they there? The fact that iTunes complains when you move a folder, tells me you do not have the "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" checked in preferences... which is fine if thats the way you want it.... Have you synced your iPad since adding the books to see if they show up?

I'm stabbing in the dark here, this is one of those things that normally "just works".... :)

OP
M

mjgillen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Bremen, and thanks for the reply. I did NOT have "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" checked in preferences so I turned that on. Re-added the folder, and still nothing. The PDFs do not show up in the "Recently Added" playlist. I jsut Sync'd again and still nothing.

I have successfully used this feature to add music to iTunes but it seems to be broken for iBooks. Have you had success?

Alteratively, I could put the PDFs in the native iBook folder however I don't see it on my hard drive.

Thanks, Michael

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
You know what? I can't ether .... :D

My guess is that it is not set up to do it yet, perhaps the next update....

But, it is simple to just "add file to library" and select all the PDF's in the folder... it will import them all at one time that way.....

Mjhudston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure what the issue is,. it worked for me? the only thing is the PDF's only appear in the books part of iTunes! also check the PDFs don't have extra .PDF extensions. mine had two for some reason and this was stopping them from being recognised.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand the question, but there is already a Books "folder" in my Library in iTunes:

itunes8.jpg

All of my iBooks stuff is in there, both books I have purchased (which is very few) and all of my .pdf's.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Maybe the iTunes update fixed the problem, I don't know because I use Dropbox for my PDF's.... but it would make sense that the last update fixed it....

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iTunes is 9.2.1.4 and I believe it did come concurrently with the iBooks release. Probably the only thing I really like about iBooks is that if you want to store your .pdf's locally and not on a cloud, all you have to do is copy them from your folder (yeah, I am still a Windows person... for now!) and paste them into iTunes and there they are!

ssmwonghk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All, anyone had luck adding a Folder to iTunes for iBooks? I have a folder, "My eBooks", that contains PDFs and I have used the iTunes option File->Add Folder to Library (while I have iBooks selected on left pane) and nothing happens. I can add files individually however I do not see any result when I add a Folder. I have restarted iTunes to see if it would pick it up but no luck. I noticed that when I moved the folder, iTunes complained that it had moved so it knew something about it...

Running iTunes 9.2 on Win7.

Love my iPad!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Hi, mjgillen. I am new to IPAD 2, but am still facing the problem that you had experienced some time ago. Did you get it resolved? I succeeded to copy pdf ebooks into iTunes, but not the entire folder. Any hint?

Most reactions

Latest posts