What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble With iPad 3 Screen / Bezel Replacement

BzowK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Afternoon -

This afternoon, I started replacing my iPad 3's glass screen and bezel again as the 1st replacement screen didn't work 100%. I am also replacing the black plastic bezel which goes around it as well as the home button assembly which never worked correctly.

I got everything disassembled, swapped the parts, and put it back together (sans adhesive) and it all worked perfectly for once! There's just one issue I can't resolve... :(

The glass / bezel / aluminum body is a snug fit! Evedentually over the past few months, the aluminum must have become not as square is it was from the factory. When I put my glass in, it doesn't fit correctly and is very difficult to do with replacing the bezel at the same time.

I tried tacking down the bezel to the aluminum body with a few drops of super glue. This made it easier, but still didn't fit. If the glass were stronger, I'm sure I could pop it in, but it's obviously very fragile (and expensive!)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The glass / bezel / aluminum body is a snug fit. Evedentually over the past few months, the aluminum must have become not as square is it was from the factory. When I put my glass in, it doesn't fit correctly and is very difficult to do with replacing the bezel at the same time.
And that is where I think the problem lies. The glass, bezel and aluminium body, as expertly fitted in manufacturing, ensures that each of those components hold themselves tightly together as one unit. If you separate them there is no longer that common-strength fit and the back aluminium casing is IMO then easily warped. I hope you will get that unit together again but I think there is a real risk of cracking the glass if any of those components are forced. Regards, Andrew

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of questions here. Since your iPad 3 was under warranty, why are you repairing it yourself? Did you have some accidental damage, not covered under warranty?

Bacardi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i would of thought swapping the glass means it had smashed ie been dropped. Not covered by normal apple warranty. Are any of the corners bent? if so try gently bending them back, you cound use a fine file to take off any sharp edges.

Most reactions