What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tried android, iphone, palm...etc

AJTaliesen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my review after a couple weeks. (Note: I tried to be honest and put positives and negatives. Hope no one gets upset...overall I'm happy with my choice in getting an ipad).

First off, I'm at least somewhat experienced with different devices. I owned a palm pilot back in the day, was the first among all my friends to switch to digital music back when ipod was still firewire. I own a windows desktop and a macbook pro. I've owned a blackberry and an iphone, and I had a Galaxy Tablet before getting my hands on the ipad2.

Most of this is by way of comparison to what I saw on other devices.

The first thing is the size...this doesn't really need mentioning. Although I think Galaxy got it right with 7" screen for portability (Fits in a coat pocket, or the glove compartment of my car), the bigger screen has some things going for it. Doesn't need to be talked about though... we all know what size it is.

The keyboard loses. I'm not sure why mac hates after-market keyboards so much, but next time you're in best buy, take a look at the swype keyboards on the other tablets. In this case, the size helps the ipad keyboard...without swype I need the space for my fingers, but I do wish I could go swype without having to deal with jailbreaking stuff. (I know nothing about jailbreaking).

Then we get to resolution. Although hardware-wise it's comparable to the xoom, I noticed right away that the ipad screen is just beautiful by comparison. Still not the perfect "better than eye" that was advertized over with the iphone4, but in a whole different league from the Galaxy tab. Mac did a fantastic job with the screen. There's no doubt about it..this is a beautiful device to look at.

The OS is typical mac. It has it's good points and bad points...I wont get too much into it, by now we all know that mac is great for ease of use, lousy for customization. That's just the price of admission to this party.

The app store was actually a bit of false advertizing though. We've all heard Steve jobs proclaim 100,000 apps for ipad! only 16 for android tablets! This is actually beyond fudging and into the realm of "Bold faced lie." The truth is...they had to, since allot of the best iphone apps WONT work at all on the ipad, they HAD to make them special, whereas most android apps will resize to the tablet.

What does that mean for us? Little things really. The app store has a fine selection and it's not really a big complaint, but things like Think free (will get into later) wont work, and that AMAZING sports app, Sportacular that we fell in love with on the iphone does have an ipad version, but for some reason the tablet version is garbage compared to the phone version. If you never saw it on the iphone trust me: a resized version of the phone app would be about 1000 times better than what they've given us.

But my biggest complaint is reading. Kindle works fine. Ereader still works fine (as I said, I went digital early so allot of my library is in the old fictionwise/palm format). PDF reading, however, stinks compared to android. This is where a thinkfree for tablet might be nice. It's really the one and only area where Android wins for me...I have allot of pdfs and the ipad app makers just don't get it.

For reference, using thinkfree on the galaxy to read a pdf: you push one button and it does text reflow...not the awful goodreads parody of reflow, but actual reflow...pinching and zooming resizes the text...but the text itself reformats to that it stays on screen. Hit another button and the page becomes a nice easy on the eyes beige background. They even have this option built in as an add on for the Dolphin web browser, so you can take whatever article you're reading online, hit one button and it becomes reformatted to your personal font size preferences, reformatted so you don't have to keep moving around.

and (until this week I wouldn't have thought this even needed to be said) you can still turn pages by swiping...as if...you're turning a page.

I know what you're going to say here..."Have you tried_insert another crappy pdf reader that fails to understand what I just said_?". The answer is yes. I have tried it. How do I know? Because I've tried them all. Three days, about $60 or more, endless hours, lots of headaches, and post after posts by goodreader fans who don't know what they are missing having never tried an app that actually works. Trust me, I've tried every single one in the app store. Some have reflow...with no options. Some like goodreader still move the text off the bottom of the page negating the whole point (and make it so you have to swipe vertically, which is just silly), and some just stink.

BUT...don't misunderstand me. I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets it right. In the meantime, I definitely am happy with my choice. As I said, Kindle and ereader work flawlessly for me. The web browsing is very nice.

For video the ipad cannot be beat...truly superb. Between itunes and netflix I am a happy guy in that department.

There's still no good stylus options for drawing. It would be nice to replace all of my sketchbooks with just the ipad, and the apps are certainly up to it. Photoshop has several, and for people who like the photoshop layer based style, the autodesk stetchbook is outstanding. Supposedly some stylus companies are working on it. Wacom even has one out now, but I haven't found one yet to try myself. What I'm hoping for is wacom to come out with a special bluetooth thing that interacts with the app and reads pressure sensitivity and angle like a wacom tablet...but that may be a long time coming.

Next, if you haven't tried flipboard, give it a whirl. This app takes web content, such as news sites, magazines, blogs, even twitter and facebook, and presents it to you in a beautiful magazine-like format. Basically this one app turns my ipad into the best custom made magazine of all time.

Also the battery live wins. It's a shame that some iphone pugs (like my car charger) don't seem to work. Not enough juice I think...it gives a "not charging" message. But that may be a small price to pay. If I remember to plug it in at night I know I can go all day with zero battery issues, even if I'm using it heavily.

Bottom line...it's not perfect, but definitely a solid choice. I'm happy with my ipad and have no problem recommending it to others. For most people, I would even go so far as to say that this will replace most of what you use your computer for.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"thinkfree"? I never tried that one. I thought Adobe Reader on android was poor for reading PDFs and I find iBooks great for my PDFs. I will have to try thinkfree so I can compare properly.

The screen on the iPad and the 4:3 ratio beats my Android tablet hands down - it should as it costs 4 times the price :)

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
miket5au said:
"thinkfree"? I never tried that one. I thought Adobe Reader on android was poor for reading PDFs and I find iBooks great for my PDFs. I will have to try thinkfree so I can compare properly.

The screen on the iPad and the 4:3 ratio beats my Android tablet hands down - it should as it costs 4 times the price :)

Just tried thinkfree. It seems to lack a few bells and whistles but the reflow does work nicely. On my android tablet it didn't work all that well. Not surprising as it is nowhere near as good hardware wise as the pad 2.

Regards, Mick

OP
A

AJTaliesen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miket5au said:

Just tried thinkfree. It seems to lack a few bells and whistles but the reflow does work nicely. On my android tablet it didn't work all that well. Not surprising as it is nowhere near as good hardware wise as the pad 2.

Regards, Mick

Not sure which tablet you have, most of my experience is with Galaxy.

Yes, think free is fairly bare bones. Almost no bells and whistles at all. About the only thing it really has to recommend it is the one feature I was looking for: nice reflow. Worked well on Galaxy.

Also since writing this, I did find a nice work around. I forgot who pointed this out to me or I'd give them credit, it was on this forum that I came across a conversion link: Epub2Go Upload PDF

Basically just converts the pdf files into epub. While Stanza doesn't have a great reflow for pdf it does a very nice job with epub. From a practical standpoint, my books now look just as good as epub as they ever did with any reflow as pdfs.

For me, that problem has been solved.

OP
A

AJTaliesen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the giant review scared everyone away. :)

But awesome nevertheless.

heh yeah. I tend to get wordy on message boards. I've learned from unfortunate experiences that if I don't clarify myself as much as possible someone WILL misinterpret it and start calling me names.

The downside is, this industry moves so fast and I'm always learning new things that reviews don't stay valid for long. Looking back at this I"m cringing at how much space I spent about pdf reading. Two weeks ago it was my biggest issue with the ipad, but the ability to just convert to epub has made it irrelevant.

But...the good news is that I'm happier than ever with my ipad :)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AJTaliesen said:
heh yeah. I tend to get wordy on message boards. I've learned from unfortunate experiences that if I don't clarify myself as much as possible someone WILL misinterpret it and start calling me names.

The downside is, this industry moves so fast and I'm always learning new things that reviews don't stay valid for long. Looking back at this I"m cringing at how much space I spent about pdf reading. Two weeks ago it was my biggest issue with the ipad, but the ability to just convert to epub has made it irrelevant.

But...the good news is that I'm happier than ever with my ipad :)

So true, especially the part about clarity. People WILL misinterpret.

Most reactions

Latest posts