What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with the Ipad

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It always "automatically" charged each month, I always had to cancel my count before coming back into Canada.
Last time I used a Visa gift card was Feb 2011, still worked.

Didn't the address have to match the billing address of the VISA? Did you just use any US address for it to work. I'll try that today. Thanks

If you use a Visa gift card, it does not do an adress lookup. I just used the hotel address
It does however do a name lookup, so when you register the gift card online, make sure you type your name the same way you'll type it in the AT&T registration.
First time I tried to sign up It failed because I had not registered the gift card online prior to using it.

I've used this process three times in twelve months, when going to the US.

Phil_Legault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stefx said:
If you use a Visa gift card, it does not do an adress lookup. I just used the hotel address
It does however do a name lookup, so when you register the gift card online, make sure you type your name the same way you'll type it in the AT&T registration.
First time I tried to sign up It failed because I had not registered the gift card online prior to using it.

I've used this process three times in twelve months, when going to the US.

It worked great with no issues too when I put my Bell micro SIM card back in.

Thanks!

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just arrived in Frankfurt today. By way of passing, came across a Vodafone store, and the kind sales people there were able to get me up in less than 20 minutes with a pay-as-you-go service. I needed just more than two weeks, but the fellows there said take the two weeks, and here's a coupon with the sim card, which they had a punch to make into a micro, and loaded up the plan onsite, for a week, not self renewing, but able to be selected in the settings panel. Coupon is good for 3 - 1 hour sessions, at any time, so that will carry me for a couple of extra days that I need. I believe the plans are 14.95 Euro for 1 week [1gb], 39.95 Euro for 4 weeks [5gb], and even daily plans. Paid cash, no gift card need, no local address, for credit for 2 weeks, and will be prompted for renewal at end of week. Supposedly seamless, as the banner info says. Will see if that's the case. Posting this from Mannheim at the moment.
So of all the plans mentioned here, this seems to be the easiest to implement, although the salesperson did have to call the Vodafone Hotline for a bit of assistance which only took a few moments.
Very pleased with the service so far.

rafraj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rafraj Canuck Newbie

"...and put in any address info you like." I sort of like this solution, but putting in a fictitious American address...couldn't that be a little dangerous? Our son lives in the US: Could I not use his address and zip code? But the Canadian VISA card I'd use to pay for the AT&T simcard in the States wouldn't fit either his name, address or country. Would using his address maybe lead to problems for one or both of us that we can't anticipate right now? You know, the "unintended consequences" argument?

Why is this so hard? I'd like to do everything the right way without having to invent information or be a bit underhanded in trying to get my iPad (with 3G) up and working properly as we tour the US.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"...and put in any address info you like." I sort of like this solution, but putting in a fictitious American address...couldn't that be a little dangerous? Our son lives in the US: Could I not use his address and zip code? But the Canadian VISA card I'd use to pay for the AT&T simcard in the States wouldn't fit either his name, address or country. Would using his address maybe lead to problems for one or both of us that we can't anticipate right now? You know, the "unintended consequences" argument?

Why is this so hard? I'd like to do everything the right way without having to invent information or be a bit underhanded in trying to get my iPad (with 3G) up and working properly as we tour the US.

I wouldn't sweat the address. I have a legit U.S. address and have had AT&T data for more than a year (since iPad 1's 3G debut). I've not received a single piece of snail mail from AT&T about that account. They contact me only via email for everything -- auto renewal confirmations monthly, expiring credit card notice, etc.

rafraj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using American address with AT&T to use 3G in US

Kaykaykay--Thank you so much for your help! We just applied at a bank here in Canada for an American credit card, which we'll use to buy a simcard and pay-as-you-go plan at an AT&T store for use of the 3G in the US. And we'll now feel a lot better about using our son's Boston address. Your help is much appreciated!
All the best, rafraj

Matty Red Sox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody know how I can go about using an iPad 2 AT&T 3G in Japan? What do I need to do?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody know how I can go about using an iPad 2 AT&T 3G in Japan? What do I need to do?

Post #51... 200$ for 20MB AT&T international data roaming

I don't think you want to do that.
Get a local microsim once you get here

Matty Red Sox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stefx said:
Post #51... 200$ for 20MB AT&T international data roaming

I don't think you want to do that.
Get a local microsim once you get here

Trying to find out if getting a microsim in Japan is possible. It may not be.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another option would be to get portable mifi with a pay-as-you-go plan

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling to the US next month. The thing is, I already have an AT&T micro sim card that I had purchased a year ago and used in my IPad 1. Does anyone know if I could now use that same micro sim card and re activate or start a new contract for 3G service?

Or, do I have purchase a new micro sim when I get there?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling to the US next month. The thing is, I already have an AT&T micro sim card that I had purchased a year ago and used in my IPad 1. Does anyone know if I could now use that same micro sim card and re activate or start a new contract for 3G service?

Put it in, find a wifi area, then sign up for the plan. Cancel it before you leav the US.

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Put it in, find a wifi area, then sign up for the plan. Cancel it before you leav the US.

Thanks.

I will try that.

Most reactions

Latest posts