What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling to Australia.....

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 3g on my Ipad won't work in Australia since I'm from the US.... will it?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you locked to USA ISP or do you have a unlocked iPad . Australia uses 3G via optus, vodaphone, 3, virgin and Telstra. One can purchase prepaid cards from $20 Australian Failing that most areas offer WIFI hot spots example macdonalds etc it depends where you are going. The iPhone and iPad are number 1 in Australia. If you need further assistancevsend private message.

OP
kctay

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Col.bris, no I don't have an unlocked Ipad, and I guess the 3G isn't that big of a deal anyway really. I guess I was just more curious than anything else. We are heading up to Palm Beach in Queensland. The place we are staying has wifi, so I guess it really isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks for the info!

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that the main question when traveling to another country, should be if that country (in our case Australia) is CDMA or GSM.
If your 3G iPAD is GSM and you travel to a country that has the old CDMA, you may have a problem.

Only last week Apple announced the CDMA iPAD for Varizon.

If Australia is GSM - No problem.

OP
kctay

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess that is a good point peled. I guess it was stupid question I had, but I thought maybe the Ipad was like the Iphone, I have international calling through my phone, why not the 3g on the Ipad.

That was my logic of course, flawed as it is :)

Most reactions