What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling Abroad

Jeannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Europe (England, Paris, Rome Venice and Florence) Should I purchase the international data plan from AT&T here or is there a better way to get data abroad? I want to use my i pad to help navigate so I cannot just rely on internet cafes.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Europe (England, Paris, Rome Venice and Florence) Should I purchase the international data plan from AT&T here or is there a better way to get data abroad? I want to use my i pad to help navigate so I cannot just rely on internet cafes.

I would say purchase a sim card and activate it when you get to your destination.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem you'll have is that micro SIMs are not that common yet and so, although most supermarkets and malls sell SIM cards (pay as you go) they're typically not the micro-SIMs that the iPad needs.

I know this doesn't help you very much......

Tim
Scotland

Elcom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The only problem you'll have is that micro SIMs are not that common yet and so, although most supermarkets and malls sell SIM cards (pay as you go) they're typically not the micro-SIMs that the iPad needs.

I know this doesn't help you very much......

Tim
Scotland

You can buy a hole puncher that transorms any regular sim into a micro sim. I ordered one on dealextreme and it worked perfectly. It even comes with an adapter if you want to use your microsim as a regular sim.

Paul W. H

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a "Hole Puncher" on E-bay and it destroyed my SIM and have had to get replacement.

In the UK Vodafone, O2 and possibly others sell micro SIMs for "Short Term" use but sadly the moment you cross the border into Europe Roaming charges apply between all countries.

Many places in the UK & Europe offer FREE WiFi including McDonald's and Starbucks. I have purchased two Apps for my iPad that are supposed to detail ALL places with FREE WiFi in the UK & France but there are so many places missing it was annoying to say the least.

Paul W. H

Last edited:

CPGoldstein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be traveling throughout Europe this summer and I'm just going to rely on my free wifi. I can't imagine having to buy anything extra. Perhaps I am wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be traveling throughout Europe this summer and I'm just going to rely on my free wifi. I can't imagine having to buy anything extra. Perhaps I am wrong?

You should have no problem at all. In all the major cities (and even some not-so-major ones) WiFi - i.e. free or 'pay for' is widely available. All the usual (US) franchises - MacDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Starbucks and most 'pubs' and restaurants and shopping malls plus, of course, almost every hotel.

I'm currently sitting in a shopping mall in Aberdeen and my iPad can see 7 WiFi networks from where I'm sitting (in Starbucks).

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts