What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel to Russia with ipad

Gabbysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an AT&T iPad 2. I am traveling to Russia next week and was going to buy the international data plan for
Russia but AT&T does not have a data plan for this country. I called them and they could not help me. I am sure I
Can get a connection just dont have any clue how to do it. Can anyone help me? Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabbysouth said:
Hi, I have an AT&T iPad 2. I am traveling to Russia next week and was going to buy the international data plan for
Russia but AT&T does not have a data plan for this country. I called them and they could not help me. I am sure I
Can get a connection just dont have any clue how to do it. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Each country will have their own telcos. You will have to find a Russian one. I assume you have a 3G iPad that is. Hopefully someone here will know where you can get one

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
G

Gabbysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, it was bizarre to me that ATT could not help, yes the ipad is 3G. I can't seem to find an answer thru google either

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't traveled to Russia since I've gotten an iPad but I made several trips there over the previous couple of years. You should be able to purchase a SIM card at the airport or in a city where you're staying when you arrive. You can also purchase a SIM card prior to your travel that should work. Just try googling "SIM card Russia" and you can find what you're looking for. You might want to filter the results to see if you can find references to a "data plan."

Last edited:
OP
G

Gabbysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow, really? i know people do this with phones...I am a complete neophyte in terms of world travel! So I am excited and nervous and this trip was a key reason I bought the ipad cause I wanted to be connected. Will google your suggestions. Thanks

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have also mentioned that if you're staying in a hotel in a major city you will probably have access to either wifi or wired internet. (That's especially likely since you're a foreigner and can stay in only some hotels. I took three trips to Novosibirsk a couple of years ago and in that city of 1.6 million people, only 6 hotels were open to foreigners. All had wifi.) If that fits your situation, you're golden. However, if the hotel has only wired internet access you'll have a problem connecting the iPad. In that case, you'll need a device that connects to the wired (ethernet) cable in your room and provides a wifi connection for your iPad. I have no experience with the device cited below, but it's the sort of portable router that you'll need.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless-N Travel Router Kit TEW-654TR (Black)

OP
G

Gabbysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks jsh1120, that sounds complicated. I am not staying at a hotel, we are staying at a tourist apartment. Sounds like I better just get myself to an ATT store this morning. Appreciate your help!

OP
G

Gabbysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have resolved this issue! I went to the AT&T store and he told me that the iPad does work in Russia (of course) and that I just had
To buy the international data plan. It does not matter that the country is not listed in the list of countries. Protip: always go to the store when phone support can't help.

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget to bring an international power adapter. :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kwame77 said:
can i use the 3g version of ipad2 in russia if i buy from either uk or usa?? please help???

Yes it doesn't matter where you buy it, it will work the same, just don't buy the Verizon one in the US they don't have a sim card.

Most reactions

Latest posts