What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring music from ipad to a new mac

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a MacBook Pro, where all my music CD's were downloaded to. This was synced with my iPad, and all the CDs which were on the MacBook are still on my iPad. My MacBook collapsed completely, and was unusable, and as it was file vaulted, the info could not be transferred from the old hard drive onto the new one, on my brand new mac mini. Not a problem really, as I back up most of my files to an external hard drive as well. However, ITunes was not backed up, as everything was on the iPad. However, I have now synced my iPad with iTunes on the new computer, but none of the CDs Which are on my iPad have transferred - only the one CD I bought from iTunes. Is there any way of transferring this music from my iPad to my new mac mini, which I don't have an optical drive for at the moment.

And while I'm on this issue, is there a way of removing the old MacBook pro from my allowed computers - I think you are only allowed to sync with a limited number of computers, and I am currently upgrading my old iBook, so that I still have a laptop, for the odd occasions when the iPad isn't enough. So I'd really like to remove the now defunct MacBook Pro.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several third party programs that will rip music back off your iPad; available for both Mac and PC. I'm not familiar with any of them, so Google and research are your best bets. Or someone else might mention their favorite.

The only way of removing a deceased computers from your authorized list is to de-authorize all computers and start over. You'll find this option by accessing your account in iTunes on the computer; right click on your Apple ID at the top right. If I remember correctly, you can only use the option if you've used all 5 of your authorizations; so just keep in in mind for when you start getting error messages when trying to add a new computer. Authorization does not affect iOS devices, btw. Only iTunes on the computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think, iTunes can work great in such situation

When you use Transfer Purchases in iTunes, only songs purchased in iTunes will copy back to iTunes from the iPad. Songs that were ripped from CD or added to iTunes by other methods will sync to the iOS device, but don't transfer back. That tends to be true of all media, even ebooks and PDFs. At least that's been most people's experience. I've never had to try myself. (knocks on wood)

Most reactions